Coral Vue Hydros

Help! Shrimp laying eggs???

JTrigger

I just bought a second cleaner yesterday and didn't even pay attention and realized this morning that the 2 shrimp are next together and the new one is poking and prodding at a whole load of what seems like light green eggs inside of her.. sort of prying them out and picking at something else errr other... I don't have another salt tank setup??? I presume they'll all be eaten by my clown... maybe they're not even eggs.. LoL? *shrug*

OK, I read a few threads and did a few searches and it seems that it's pretty futile to think that these lil guys might be salvaged and provide anything more than nourishment for the rest of the reef... but even if I did try... how small of a setup could I use when isolating the shrimp... as small as one of those fw hatchery types? *shrug*

• 2 weeks later...
harbingerofthefish

as a hatchery, just do a 1 gallon WC and dump it in to a tupperware bowl & drop in an airstone. If you didn't live so far from me I'd say put some eggs in a baggie and mail'em to me.

Thx for the reply :-)... funny thing was, after I posted that day the shrimps eggs were no longer there that night and I have NO idea where they went??? Sorry I'm so far away or I'd mail some!

ocellaris

JTrigger,

Where do you see the 'eggs'? Are they inside the thorax or are they underneath the tail section held by the swimmerettes? All of the shrimp I have seen incubate their eggs on the underside of their tails. If they're in the body cavity, I'm not sure that they're eggs.

Good Luck - ML

ocellaris

I stand corrected...

When you say abdomen, are you referring to the base of the tail? (which is where I've seen) or higher up on the underside of the body near the legs?

ML

Not as far up as the legs, but not exactly all the way down by the tail... somewhat in between... tons of densely packed light green eggs :blush:

ocellaris

Spurred by our shrimp discussion and the fact that my new office nano just finished cycling, I went out and bought two 'peppermint' shrimp. In the first couple of hours, they were the most active shrimp I've ever seen, but seem to have calmed down a bit. We'll I've come into the office this morning and found that one of the had molted. After seeing it so many times before, I'm still amazed by the whole process!

- ML

Yep, apparently they spawn more readily after molting... how big were the shrimp you got for the office? Where's Milpitas? I'm actually from Southern Cal, but here in Canada for med school... I finish up here this month.

ocellaris

JTrigger,

One is about 1" and the other 1.5". I'm not sure which one molted to tell ya to the truth. I thought it was the smaller since he was hiding for most of the day. We'll as I was leaving the office an hour ago, both of them were fly romping around the tank. Go figure...

Milpitas is on the north border of San Jose on the eastern side of the sili valley. (I say sili, because all the cons left town after the tech market crash ;)

ocellaris

Hey Check this out...

One of my peppermint shrimps is carrying a clutch of eggs. They are the standard green, tucked at the base of the pleopods along the length of the tail.

-ML

Our Peppermints hatch larvae regularly (about once a month), along with our Hermits.

Reproduction is perhaps the strongest force in nature...

Noel

ocellaris

JTrigger,

The tank's doing okay. The thing that gets a little annoying is when people stop by the office just to push their noses up against the tank. I have two pet peeves, that is actually just one: People who leave fingerprints on my monitor and prints of any kind on my aquariums.

... The screen is only 21 inches, I know what you're talking about if you just refer to it verbally. No need to leave greasy streaks behind. Nasty.

-ML

Archived