ReefCleaners.org

Peppermint Shrimp... Evil?

FishFreak77

I got this cute little baby mandarin the other day that I have been wanting for months but had to wait due to a lack of food source. Well, I finally got her and she was acclimating very well to the tank. The third day though, I noticed some tatters on her fins. At first, I thought they were just stress induced but have noticed that more and more of her fins are disappearing. I then realized that this would always happen overnight when my shrimp were actively wondering the tank. Now I believe that my peppermint shrimp is to blame for the shredding of my mandarins fins.

I say it is my peppermint shrimp and not my cleaner shrimp because the litlle pincers on my peppermint shrimp are much more powerful than those on the cleaner shrimp. I know this from when they have both cleaned on my hand and the pep shrimp started causing pain.

Every night more and more of my mandarins fins are gone. Should I remove the pep shrimp? Has anyone else ever had a good pep shrimp go bad? What should I do. Thanks for the help. :happy:

pepp shrimps are evil, i had two in my tank that became a pest so i booted them out into the refuge. If you don't have any other inverts, then it has to be the pepps. the cleaner on the other hand, will jump on fish but it's cleaning them. I have never had any issues with my cleaner. the only known issues with cleaners is that they tend to take food from corals.

I have one well behaved peppermint, and I had another until last night......I woke up to get a drink and I cought him eating my SPS, an entire pocillipora frag....he at the entire thing except for like 20 polyps.

I threw his azz in with the dottyback in the 10 gal until we cant make the trip back to the lfs.

all peppermints are evil...duh...that's why they're red? have you ever seen a jedi with a red lightsaber? -_- i don't think so -_-

just remove the peppermint, and if possible, giving it a slow and painful death is the right way for it to be euthanized since they're all evil bastarges >:o lol jk

There have not been any more bizarre fin disappearances on my mandarin in a couple of days. I think that I will keep my pep shrimp as long as he causes no more trouble because he helps to clean up my tank a pretty good bit. If he does attack her again, I will give him to my parents because they have a larger tank he would probably enjoy more. Thanks for the comments! (I will not buy another peppermint shrimp!!!) :D

If I had a refuge, I would just automatically throw him in there to prevent any possible future problems. I do have one, but it is a small HOB filter mod. and as much as it may please some of you, I would not want him to get pureed by the propeller.

I've had peps before w/no trouble but just like anything else it depends on the specimen. I just had to take one out of my nano b/c it pretty much decimated my blasto. :( Hope it recovers. So, yeah, they can be touchy. On the bright side, it did get rid of my aptasia though.

i would blame the cleaner. i've seen a cleaner shrimp catch a mandarin by the tail and then pick his spine out while it was still alive.

i felt so bad for the mandarin that i volunteered the cleaner shrimp for a little experiment: will a trigger with ich not bother a cleaner shrimp?...let's just say it turned out exactly how one would expect. whod'a thunk it? :P

Archived