Top Shelf Aquatics

star fish melted and a cleaner shrim died

starr

I got a sand sifting star a flame scallop and a peppermint shrimp last week. well I drip lined them for some time and then put them in like normal every thing seemed fine. well a few days later I got a cleaner shrimp a clown goby and a red reef star. when I was drip lining them I noticed the sand star was melting his rays off. I had no other choice then to continue to put the others in the tank. After a night I took the melting sand star out and thought the cleaner shrimp molted, but he didn't he died. I took a water sample in to the lfs and they told me to do a 50% water change that the nitrites were a little high but should not have killed anything. Now it's been a few more days and the red reef star is melting.

What do you thinks wrong?

water test last night lites on all day

ph 7.8

alk 4

dkh 11.2

ammonia 0 mg/l

nitrite <0.3mg/l Ok? This is as low as my test kit tests

nitrate 12.5mg/l Ok? This is as low as my test kit tests

ca 550

All the stuff in my tank other then the star fish and 1 shrimp are fine.

starr

post-1886-1172365858_thumb.jpg

wat was SG? I had low SG and my shrimp died.

well I think mine is low 1.021.

I changed where i am getting pre-mix ro/di from and made the mistake of not checking it last time I did a water change. I usually keep it around 1.024

starr

How long has your tank been setup for?

Well in this tank only a month or so, I down sizes from a 100g so I took what I wanted of the sand bed,rock,coral frags and fish then kinda started over there. I also used 50% of the clear water before I tore it down. I thought it would be fine I had a sand star in the old tank for years I thought maybe he died from old age. Also I am not running a skimmer right now but I am doing 5 gallon water changes and running carbon every week.

starr

sounds like your tank is in shock. fast SG drops are bad (killed a lot of stuff in my tank once as well as bleached my corals) and the bacteria in your tank probably isn't up to the challenge of processing all the extra waste. water changes might help keep the stuff in there alive, but will stall the bacteria population from catching up to your bioload.

how big is your tank? are you adjusting the temp of the new water before you do your water changes? (i've killed shrimp that way)

• 2 weeks later...
non-photosynt

I would remove the corpses, place the injured in the small hospital container (translucent rubbermaid or fish tank), this will need heater and power filter with daily change of the media and frequent partial water changes, and in the main tank check for hitchhiker's corpses, run frequently changed carbon and do more water changes.

This is what I did, when my serpent stars melted (thread about my tank crash), all was gone to a separate containers, sorted by the speed of die-off. Who didn't died in the first 2 days - recovered.

non-photosynt
Go buy a bottle of SeaChem Stability. It will help, seriously...

Did that, when mine melted - cleaning was the must IMHE.

Archived