Top Shelf Aquatics

bubble coral not looking so good

tonkadawg

Well, I have had this guy for probably 4 weeks now. At first I thought it was just the coral needing to adjust to the new environment, but I am beginning to wonder whats not quite right. As you can see by the pic, the 'sacs' are deflated/retracted, there is algea growing on the spines and he appears to be retracting from the rock it is attached to. Other corals in the tank appear to be doing good, except for the hammer coral wich appears to be retracting from it's base as well.

Tank is a 21 gallon with 2x36 pc lighting. Have 30 lbs of rock and ?? pounds of sand. Also have an fuge on the back with sand and macro.

Just tested the water before I did a change and ammonia, nitrite are at 0 while nitrate looked to be 0-5. SG is 1.024, calcium is 340 and alk is 6.8. I know I need to bring up the calc level - will be dosing with bionic.

The hammer coral will eat like a mad man, but I have not been able to get the bubble to eat. Even when trying to feed when lights are out. One interesting thing is that the bubble coral looks great first thing in the morning just before the lights come on.

Any ideas?

My bubble deflates in the evening and by morning is starts to puff back up. Has yours completely puffed up at all since you got it? I wonder if you purchased a sick coral or if you have another coral in the tank that is producing a chemical that is harming the bubble.

my hammer will just not oped at times. Or just a little bit, this is the period in which it is extracting it's zooanthia, look if there is a long line of brown crap. I think that closing once in a while is just normal, so i'm just guessing. Also I think that algae on it might be a problem?

Well just to make sure, look on it, under iit and areoiund it for aiptasia, i swear i found tons of this aiptasia growing on my corals and stinging it.

If I were you, I'd probably do a water change and see what happens. If it looks like it might be making some headway, do another one. You may be ridding the tank of something that's in the water that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Later.

Maybe not Acoustic. Mine deflates to complete nothingness and by the next morning is puffing back up. I'd give it some more time and a few water changes. Bump up th calcium. Are you supplementing anything else? Bubbles aren't the easiest coral to keep, but definately not hard. Have you fed it anything? Mine likes an occasional snack of tiny pieces of fresh shrimp or even some frozen brine tucked between the bubbles. It has tripled in size in the past 3 1/2 months. I'm running out of room for it in my nano!

No, he definitely isn't dead. I got the calcium back up to where it needs to be - 390. Also, last night I was finally able to get him to eat. I was doing some cleaning and shut the lights off and noticed that he started to puff up. So I figured I would load the turkey baster up with some food, shut the ph's off and see what happens. Took several pieces of a mix that I make. Will continue to feed this way and see if that makes a difference.

I think you'd do well to bump up the calcium levels to a minimum of 50 points higher. Natural seawater, from what I understand, sits at about 440.

Later.

Archived