Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

EL CHUPACABRA have I finally lost it?

EL CHUPACABRA

EL CHUPACABRA

So I have been selling a bunch of my frags on the classifieds, and I went ahead and ordered my 400w Ushio 20k MH bulb today, should be in late next week. I already have a ballast and reflector. I guess I am going to need to build some sort of housing to hold the reflector. I am assuming I will have it hanging from the ceiling on some sort of pulley system. I am going to start it up really high and slowly lower it down as the corals become more acclimated. I should get some amazing colors from the 20k but should still get some good growth since the PAR on a 400w is pretty good especially when the tank is only 15g. So many people said not to do it and a few people said to go for it. I am going for it, my system is thriving right now, I can't wait to see what this does for me, hopefully all goes well. It should rock for SPS, and I have yet to expose a zoo to too much light. My mushrooms are already hiding under the rockwork to get away from my current light fixture. By the way in case your interested keep your eyes peeled for the light I am currently using on the classifieds. 2x 70w 14k MH w/ 2x 18w super actinics.

Any thoughts fellow reefers, do you think this will work out? or have I finally lost it?

I guess were going to find out...

EL CHUPACABRA
chub i only need one half of your halides, you willing to split the fixture?

Are you talking about my 2x70w 14kMH w/ 2x18w PC super actinic light? If so no I am not going to split it up. What size is your tank the legs are adjustable, I had it over my 5.5 for a while and it was amazing growth shot through the roof. I say go for both 70w, you will not be disappointed.

good grief that s a lot of light

i'll be tagging along, not because of the lighting, but because i am interested to see if you'll have success growng thriving SPS in a 15g prop tank

I'll check out this thread ever so often to see whats going on. Electric bill is going to go up, if that even concerns you, campus , lol. Watch out for heat issues in the summer. I already have problems in NYC in the summer, my tank gets up to 84-90F, and my corals turn white. I only have a 150watts of MH over my 20 gallon. Arizona must get pretty hot in the summer. Keeps us posted, your corals should grow and look nice. I would also like to trade with you, but I need a heat pack, and I also need to know how to pack with the heat pack. I have stryro sheets, fish bags and boxes ready.

EL CHUPACABRA

Here is a PM I responded to:

I might be interested in getting your 2 x 70w, 2 x 18w actinic light fixture when your new one comes in. How much would you want for it? I would need to have it shipped to 37830, Oak Ridge, TN. Is it a retro-fit, is it an actual fixture, is it in a hood, what kinda info you got?

I would be putting it over a 15g that is 15" long and 16" high.

Thanks!

Lisa

I made it. It was a 48" coral life fixture that I gutted and used just the housing for my new fixture. It has 2 aqualine 14k MH in it and 2 18w super actinic PC. I think I also have 2 extra PC bulbs that are 6500k 10k combos.

It has adjustable mounting legs that can be unscrewed and moved in and out to accommodate any tank size, I had it on my 5.5g also, and have mounted it on a 10g.

The ballast for the MH are located outside of the fixture and sit behind the tank, which is good because it keeps that much more heat from being inside the fixture. I have a fan blowing on the fixture that sits next to the tank, it turns on when the MH timer clicks on. I live in the desert and have never had any temp issues using this method.

The light looks very professional, not some crappy DIY job, you can not tell that it is homemade. Both MH bulbs have UV glass shielding them from the water surface, both bulbs also have UV glass sleeves. The MH I have on a timer that turns them on, you just plug in the grounded power-cord to ignite the MH. The Actinic PC is turned on and off with a timer or a easy access waterproof switch mounted to the back of the unit. The bulbs have about 5 months of use, around 6 hours a day on the MH and 4 hours a day on the PC. I have the PC come on for 2 hours in the morning to gently wake the corals then the PC switches off and the MH fires for 6 hours, then they go off and the PC brings the light slowly to a end over 2 hours. Dusk and Dawn is easy to accomplish.

Coral life sells a moon light that slide on the rail that the legs are mounted on, it looks super pro. This light is stellar, I really love it. I have no problem growing any coral I want under it, and the 2 MH give you a much better spread than 1 150w. My SPS thrives under this light and as you can see I have no problem growing zoos at all under it. I would never go back to anything other than MH (maybe a filthy amount of T5HO). This wattage is perfect because you don't end up needing a cooler, which saves a ton of cash and electricity.

The 14k is the perfect color of light, it really makes the corals pop! I am just being ridiculous and putting 400w of 20k MH over my 15g to see what happens, I think I might regret it... Then again who has every tried it? Hopefully it will be the best thing to ever happen to me. I am guessing I might end up needing a cooler now.

Here are some old pics of when I finished making it. The zip ties have since been removed. I used 2 aromat electronic ballast because they are the best. The PC ballast are hidden in the fixture. All bulbs have reflectors maximizing your light output. The shimmering effect of the MH is great, you really get the wavy lines of light dancing across the tanks floor. There is not a light on the market that allows this versatility, and MH PC combo. This is the perfect light for the nano enthusiast.

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0057-1.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg

Here is the light fixture that was modified

It already has the clear mounting legs that slide at any increment in and out on the strip. You can also get the adjustable mounting legs that allow you to flip the light up and out of your way.

I am thinking of asking for $220 plus shipping, for it.

Illuming.com has 70w MH retros for $140 each

18w PC ballast are $20ea

The PC regardless of temp are $17ea

Total: $354 for 2 MH retros w/ bulbs, PC ballast and 2 PC super actinic bulbs. I am also throwing in the 2 18w 6700/10k PC bulbs ($34), that brings it up to $384 plus the cost of the fixture, which I got for free for helping my friend put a MH on his FW Planted tank, and shipping. II think this is a good deal for the setup. It is truly unique, and perfectly paired with nanos in particular.

Aquakevem has first dibs, he is deceiding now, then I am going to list it on classifieds, or throw it on my sump :D CHUPA

I'll check out this thread ever so often to see whats going on. Electric bill is going to go up, if that even concerns you, campus , lol. Watch out for heat issues in the summer. I already have problems in NYC in the summer, my tank gets up to 84-90F, and my corals turn white. I only have a 150watts of MH over my 20 gallon. Arizona must get pretty hot in the summer. Keeps us posted, your corals should grow and look nice. I would also like to trade with you, but I need a heat pack, and I also need to know how to pack with the heat pack. I have stryro sheets, fish bags and boxes ready.

I live right next to campus, not on it, so I have to pay electric, actually I split it 3 ways, so my roomates are inadverantly going to help pay to :huh:

We will see with heat issues, my bedroom never receives direct sunlight, it is tucked in a concrete entry way in the apartments. It gets super hot in Arizona in the summer, but for that same reason we have amazing ACs here. In fact if you live in Tucson in the summer, you run from one AC to the next, and blast your cars AC on full, so really we are rarely exposed to heat, unless you go outside... Don't do that... Well you can but only if you are going to be wet, ie in a pool.

We should trade, perhaps my whamin watermelons and pinks for some frags of your green dragon eyes and your pinks, maybe some of those molted green ones as well, as I recall I hooked you up with lots of extras last time, right? I think that was you. I could send mine first to you with an extra heat pack for when you send me mine. Also that way you can see how I pack up corals now, I have improved my methods since I shipped to you before, and you can see how the heat pack packing works. Just be in touch. My shipping ###### should get here sometime this upcoming week.

I received four types of zoas Kumquat, pinks(that didnt make it), the ice, and the orange with the green skirt. Ok, keep in touch. Do you have any RPE or PE?

Archived