Cultivated Reef

Decorator Crab Babies? Help please!?

Nictorious

Hello!

I just purchased a decorator crab at the LFS and I believe he/she is having babies, it has a sack underneath filled with little orange balls and everyonce in a while he opens it to put something in its mouth (an egg perhaps) and spits it out. I am wondering if these are babies?

At the moment the crab is in a very very small tank for the time being since I bought him a couple days ago and need to transport him home (600km) tomorrow. I am doing part water changes and he and his anemone seem healthy.

I will attach a picture ASAP but if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do for the time being they would be greatly appreciated.

An ID on the anemone would also be nice!

Thank you!

Nickpost-23488-1172285422_thumb.jpg

i have no idea how to care for them or what to do...BUT...if they're anything like cleaner shrimp, just think of the babies as a free feeding -_-

haha well thanks for the quick suggestion.

*New picture added

The crab now periodically opens his sack that looks like it has layers of hundreds of little orange balls with 2 black dots on them. He then reaches in and takes out a few loose one and either puts it in his mouth or throws them at me. This is very amusing to watch but it would be nice to see what these little things are, I am leaning heavily towards eggs.post-23488-1172299778_thumb.jpg

yeah i would assume their eggs too but yeah...i used to breed bettas and the male usually eats any eggs that are unfertilized so those eggs don't rot the entire batch of eggs so yeah...lol...maybe that's what it's doing :P either that or pms...

when women are pmsing, combining them with little objects of any sort is a BAD BAD combination -__-

yeah i would assume their eggs too but yeah...i used to breed bettas and the male usually eats any eggs that are unfertilized so those eggs don't rot the entire batch of eggs so yeah...lol...maybe that's what it's doing :P either that or pms...

when women are pmsing, combining them with little objects of any sort is a BAD BAD combination -__-

:lol:

even if the eggs hatch, they will all likely be eaten by coral, hydroids, fish, and inverts. If they dont get eaten theyll die in your skimmer, filter, ect.

Sorry, but the chances of even one surviving is very unlikely.

Archived