ReefCleaners.org

yellow watchman goby skin disease

this1fish

I have read that some watchman goby will change color but that isn't the case with mine. Looks like his layer of skin was ripped off a little bit and now it has spread out to 2/3 of his body. At first i thought it'll heal and go away, looks like it's eating away at the goby's skin little by little increasing the wound. Has anyone ever had this happen? If so, how was it delt with.

what are your water parameters? is he being attacked by anything? sounds like it could be a lesion that got infected and is spreading. it would be a bacterial infection, so you may try doing a google search for that.

discoloration can also be a nutritional and over all health issue.

is there any way you can get a pic?

i will try to get a pic if he comes out. the infection has gotten worse, now you can see the meat starting to appear on the wound.

i just checked my water parameters and they are

7.9ph

.2 for ammonia

0 for nitrite

.02 for nitrate

200ppm for alky

i just did a water change yesterday as well.

i don't have a pic of my watchman but the wound looks just like this one. I googled bacterial infection and this picture of this goldfish is exactly how the wound looks like.

r1.jpg

update: the infection has gotten very worse, now the wound has completly eaten through the skin and you can see a hole in it. also the internal organs can be seen.....i guess it'll be anytime now before it goes.

that ammonia needs to be at 0. what happened was the small infection is being aggrivated and burned by the ammonia in the tank, making it worse.

do some emergency water changes on the tank! i'd do 10% every day until the ammonia is at 0. maybe get an ammonia lock product to aid in this. nothing will help more than water changes.

also, dont feed the tank until the fish is starting to heal and feed. adding food to a tank with water quality issues wont help anything. the fish can fast for a few days without a problem.

please, keep us updated!

GL

Koral krazy (reefer 365)

Your ph should be higher, around 8.2-8.4 What is your salinity? Try lowering by topping off with fresh, distilled water after water changes.

well, my goby has died. I have done water changes every day but i guess it didnt pull through. My PH for some reason will not rise at all. i have tried ph buffers but it stays at 7.9 regardless. my salinity is kept at 1.026. I introduced a pulsing xenia with a 1lb rock into my tank, i guess that was probably what kicked up my ammonia. I am now fishless and will stay that way until everything is OK for a month. right now i'll just have my corals and inverts. thanks for the help!

my yellow watchman turned a brownish color, but is as healthy as can be.. i hope yours gets better, maybe set up a small hospital tank where you can do daily water changes and medicate him?

Archived