Cultivated Reef

When sinking pellets don't sink

coralreefengr

Sometimes you just have to push them under the water's surface with your finger, and then they'll sink.

What kind of pellets are you using? I generally avoid stuff that floats, as there seems to be a high level of correlation to those foods and swim bladder problems in fish.

coralreefengr

I tried pushing them underwater...no luck. They were the OSI sinking pellets. I returned them and went to the other LFS in the next town over and got some brine sinking pellets. They demonstrated at the store that they sank before I left. I'm not using these for my fish because they eat flake. I'm trying to deter my emeralds from eating my xenia, hoping that if their bellies are already full, xenia won't look so appetizing. We'll see.

Odd, I love the OSI pellets, and have never had that problem. They take a few seconds to soak up water ebfore they sink, but do so without fail.

As for the brine shrimp flakes, I've never heard of emeralds eating them. Best of luck with that. Jsut try to keep the fish from eating too much brine, it's not very nutritious.

coralreefengr

Since the brine pellets sink, my clowns aren't very interested in them. The fish get formula 1. As for the OSI pellets, I was gone more than 1/2 hour and they were still floating around on the surface. My emerald rushed right over to the brine pellet shortly after I dropped it and ate the whole thing.

It seems that everyone has a different experience with their emeralds. This is just mine.

I think at the annual Emerald Crab Convention, they all come up with new ways to thoroughly muckify common perception of their diet and behavior.

coralreefengr

That...and they think they won't get caught (in the act or to get kicked out). I'm not looking forward to having to catch the little beast. I think they're out to make your life hell in any way that works. Plotting, little conniving, little punk asses.

Archived