Pod Your Reef

Tangaroa Goby

arwndsh

I am in the process of setting up a new tank and this time I specifically want a shrimp and goby pair. I have decided that if I can find it I would like a Tangaroa since they stay smaller and a Caribbean pistol shrimp if I can find them. Does anyone know where would be the best place to get these from? I could ask the local fish store to try and get them in but that could take awhile for them to find the fish and shrimp. Any suggestions would be great.

From my reading I would be highly doubtful that a Tangaroa would pair with a Caribbean pistol.

Also, I think if you check vendor feedback both here and on other forums you will find that liveaquaria is one of the most reputable places to buy online.

KC

I don't have a suggestion as were to buy a Tangaroa Goby (I bought mine from a LFS), but I do want to chime in about the pairing with shrimp.

I bought my Tangaroa as a replacement buddy for my banded pistol shrimp that used to be paired with a hi-fin banded goby (who "disappered" one day). Well ... the two never paired up. And still haven't to this day (after many many months, and even after moving the tank and re-setting it up).

My Tangaroa actually liked to live in my jawfish's cave (before the jawfish got sick of him).

They are neat little fish, and are not too shy, as he will sit out in the front of the tank waiting for food.

kismetsh

I don't remember where I read it, but I will look again.

seahorsejl

Thanks for the information about them not liking to pair up. What would you reccomend then? I want one that stays small and is cute (I'm a girl so cute is a priority) and is one that is fairly cheap (I'm also a poor college student).

seahorsejl

Thanks for the information about them not liking to pair up. What would you reccomend then? I want one that stays small and is cute (I'm a girl so cute is a priority) and is one that is fairly cheap (I'm also a poor college student).

My wife liked the hi-fin banded goby when he was alive, so I think that qualifies as cute :) ... and I don't think that they are too expensive. (I think I paid like $30-$35 for the shrimp/goby pair from a LFS).

Here is a picture of the dynamic duo from back in their days:

IMG_3340.jpg

Saltwaterfish.com has them on sale for $18.99. I have ordered a red sea sailfin tang from them, and it is doing great. Live aquaria is a little expensive, but it is well worth it. I have had many orders with them (including one today) and everything that I recieve looks amazing. I have never had a problem with anything I have ever ordered from them.
My wife liked the hi-fin banded goby when he was alive, so I think that qualifies as cute :) ... and I don't think that they are too expensive. (I think I paid like $30-$35 for the shrimp/goby pair from a LFS).

HAHA.....That's what I kept telling her to get!

• 2 years later...
corallineadam

tangaroa goby is a great fish!! very outgoing and very "cute" lmao

also, if you are lucky you can find one cheap -- i got mine for $15 at a lfs. they didnt even know what kind of fish it was though :rolleyes:

good luck and let us know what you end up adding to your nano!

IMGP2397.jpg

Saltwaterfish.com has them on sale for $18.99. I have ordered a red sea sailfin tang from them, and it is doing great. Live aquaria is a little expensive, but it is well worth it. I have had many orders with them (including one today) and everything that I recieve looks amazing. I have never had a problem with anything I have ever ordered from them.

the only problem with saltwaterfish.com is they they dont hardly have anything in stock worth buying (well i guess that is a relative term), but i find that a lot of what they offer is never/rarely in stock.

Archived