Cultivated Reef

Bivalve on liverock alive!?

donnoj

I purchased a coral this weekend and found what appeared to be a muscle jammed in one of the live rock crevices that the coral came attached on.

This morning it was several inches away in the sand bed.

I haven’t seen allot of posts on muscles, so I'm wondering, do these bivalves survive in aquariums, and if so how do I care for it?

I had a couple on some live rock for about 6 months until the tank crashed. Never did anything for them other than avoid putting new corals on top of them, and they seemed fine. Most are filter-feeders, all non-photosynthetic.

They generally attach to a rock and never leave, so that it's in the sand now would be a cause for some concern. I would check to make sure it opens up on occasion. If not, you may want to move it onto a rock and see if it seems happier.

Well, this morning I can see the shell opened a little. I'm guessing it's filtering/feeding on nutrients in the water.

It looks like a small version of 'muscles' I order in restaurants.

I'm wondering what the survival rate is in aquariums, since I don't see much info about them on the forums.

I think it's kind of cool having something else alive in my tank.

I had a couple on some live rock for about 6 months until the tank crashed. Never did anything for them other than avoid putting new corals on top of them, and they seemed fine. Most are filter-feeders, all non-photosynthetic.

They generally attach to a rock and never leave, so that it's in the sand now would be a cause for some concern. I would check to make sure it opens up on occasion. If not, you may want to move it onto a rock and see if it seems happier.

I'll try moving it back to a rock today

I had em, tough little guys, they came encrusted on the rock I had for my 3gal. Neat to watch em spit up their leftovers

did you have to feed 'em of do they just filter stuff out of the water?

Archived