Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Baby RBTA!?!?!

rileyrayne

I picked up some small pieces of LR from my LFS and I found a very small RBTA! It's about 1/4 inch in diameter. What are the chances that this little guy will survive and grow in my tank? Also, what should I feed him since he's so small? Phytofeast, small bits of mysis, or will he be fine with just sunlight until he grows more?

Well if he is an actually Bubble tip I say 50% Die, 30% BAD Start but with good research will live, and 20% live.

what i stated is because i assume this is a new tank?

if it is if you REALLY want to have it survive do small water changes if ammonia/trites/trates get Too high

Thanks for the quick response!

The tank has been up for about 7 months. I went to get some smaller pieces of LR because my girlfriend thought it would be really cool if I made a small cave in a certain part of the tank... haha...

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up that he'll survive and thrive in my tank because he's so small, but it would be really cool. I monitor all water levels closely and everything is fine at the moment. Any ideas on what to feed him?

lol can i see a pic? i'm a bit skeptical that it's a rbta...:P

no offense but it just kinda reminds me of people seeing pods and going "OMGAWWD I GOTZ A BABEH MANTIS SHRIMP! MAH TANK IZ GUNNUH DAHHHH!"

but indeed, if it turns out you do have a rtba, then i'd say put it in it's own tank...:) and throw it in after your tank cycles :)

lol can i see a pic? i'm a bit skeptical that it's a rbta...:P

no offense but it just kinda reminds me of people seeing pods and going "OMGAWWD I GOTZ A BABEH MANTIS SHRIMP! MAH TANK IZ GUNNUH DAHHHH!"

but indeed, if it turns out you do have a rtba, then i'd say put it in it's own tank...:) and throw it in after your tank cycles :)

I don't have a camera right now. I've been aiming to borrow one, maybe I should get around to that now...

I also said in a previous post that my tank has been up for 7 months so I think it's done with the cycle ;)

I can't believe no ones said this yet, but, this anemone is most likely a mojano. ;)

Could be, but I don't know... It's dark red, tentacles are very tiny and have the "light bulb" tips.

Obsessed Reefer

If it is indeed a tiny RBTA, then I say Sweet Score, and an even better one if it survives. And if it is. Start researching... a lot. I've been doing research on these for the past 3 months, and I still consider my self no where near enough ready to buy one.

If it is indeed a tiny RBTA, then I say Sweet Score, and an even better one if it survives. And if it is. Start researching... a lot. I've been doing research on these for the past 3 months, and I still consider my self no where near enough ready to buy one.

Yeah I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be pretty cool if he thrives in my tank :)

ah ic ic didnt see that earlier somehow o.O well, then again, if your tank is small enough, could still kick up a small cycle ;)

I can't believe no ones said this yet, but, this anemone is most likely a mojano. wink.gif

and yep, that's what i'm thinking too ;)

forrestp38829
I can't believe no ones said this yet, but, this anemone is most likely a mojano. ;)

I second that notion. If it dies could be a good thing.

Damn....Think Positive C'mon.

Sorry

Forrest

Yep, probably a mojono; I'd expect a BTA to be considerably larger in seven months.

Edit: My reading comprehension has been a bit off lately, didn't notice that it's new live rock added to an established tank.

You're most likely only going to see an anemone that size due to cloning by pedal laceration or budding; something I'm not convinced are normal cloning methods for BTA's.

Put up a pic if you want a 100% ID but what you describe, by both size and form, suggest quite strongly mojono.

ah ic ic didnt see that earlier somehow o.O well, then again, if your tank is small enough, could still kick up a small cycle ;)

I had the new pieces of LR sitting in a seperate bucket of water and monitored the ammonia levels before I added it to my tank. Been checking the levels since and it's fine - no sign of any cycle ;)

Chupacabras, do majanos have the bubble tipped tentacles as seen in this photo? - http://www.slacy.com/gallery/d/28313-3/img_2088.jpg

I've been searching a lot and haven't found a majano that resembles mine at all, but I'll try to get a camera and get a picture up as soon as I can and we can confirm it

More like these. Majano's tend to have bubble tips (note the big pic) but their color range is the greatest of the anemone's we're likely to see in the hobby (so far as I know) so it may be hard to actually find an exact match for yours.

Just going by descriptions, mind, so it's possible that I'm giving a false ID but the odds are probably in my favor ;).

More like these. Majano's tend to have bubble tips (note the big pic) but their color range is the greatest of the anemone's we're likely to see in the hobby (so far as I know) so it may be hard to actually find an exact match for yours.

Just going by descriptions, mind, so it's possible that I'm giving a false ID but the odds are probably in my favor ;).

Thank you for the pictures. I understand that it's very hard to ID the anemone in my tank without a photo, but I appreciate your input very much :) Do all Majano's tend to have that extended foot that I saw in the link you posted? Or were they just trying to reach closer towards the light?

I've been fighting the majano wars for a long time, and I rarely see one with it's foot extended like that. When I sawe my first one, I thought it was a bubble-tip too, since it had some nice bubbles. Oh was I wrong. I'd isolate it until I could get a positive id. They are a ###### to get rid of if they get into your tank.

That said, I did buy a very small BTA from the lfs a year ago, and he's split once and is still small, but not as small as a majano. They love to hide in zoanthid patches, as they are just about the same size.

Archived