ReefCleaners.org

When Blue Ringed Octopus Go bad

cult0890

maybe he wants the octo to commit murder! D: Polly a woman he hates.. :P JFK

ooo have just found the new plot line to csi? :P

The place the octopus in the shower soap dish routine? Just pull it out afterwords (with a 5 foot pair of tongs), throw it back in the tank, lock the hood down, and who's to know fingerscrossed

huh.gif Better yet, why not just slice open your jugular just to see what happens? Let us know how you make out.... slap.gif

hehe well you can survive that given someone is there :P i read a combat memoir where shrapnel had hit someone's jugular and the lieutenant tried to hold the two veins together and kept the man alive until the medic came by and did it more efficiently :P

The place the octopus in the shower soap dish routine? Just pull it out afterwords (with a 5 foot pair of tongs), throw it back in the tank, lock the hood down, and who's to know fingersx01.gif

haha definitely :) after all, on that link someone posted about that dead man, i think they barely had just found the beak mark and even then they're not sure :P

Most LFS actually had a blu-ring a few months back. It was locked up in a little ziploc container floating in a larger tank with a tight fitting lid on it.

Micheal Crichton actually used a Blue Ring as a weapon in his novel "State of Fear".

Just not sure I believe it would survive long in a Zip-Loc!

ok i know the risk is very real cart u point me in the direction or somethink ok

any one know of an ozzie all in one nano webs site and stuff are seahorse boring?

Hapalochlaena or Blue Ringed Octopus actually refers to the entire genus not just one species. All species only display their "Blue Rings" when defensive or generally annoyed so most of the time your looking at a "Plain" lookin octopus.

The toxin comes from its bite is actually from bacteria that live in 2 small glands and produce Tetrodotoxin which is among the most brutaly deadly Neurotoxins out there and are actually the same toxins produced by bacteria in Pufferfish species.

Anyone seen the serpent and the rainbow? That was based on Clairvius Narcisse, a Hatian who was poisoned by a Hatian "Bokor" with a powder that contained Tetrodotoxin. Tetrodotoxin causes paralysis and death such complete paralysis that the body does not react to any stimuli. People have been pronounced dead as was Clairvius Narcisse who was buried then showed up a number of years later at his sisters home.

That being said if it makes you happy to get one then do so. Just keep in mind what your dealing with. A Neurotoxin that can kill in 10-15min if your not put on life support before you die from lack of oxygen. And since it paralyzes voluntary muscles that might make it difficult to make it to the ER. Most proved victims dont even make it off the beach.

All of the above is from what ive read over the years about tetradotoxin. Im not an expert but i believe this post is accurate.

*edit here*

Oh yeah heres another fun fact i forgot about. A handful of tetrodotoxin poisoning victims that survived claim to have been concious at their own pronunciation of death if that doesnt scare you enough think about being concious at your autopsy.

Archived