SaltCritters.com

Yet another emerald busted!

coralreefengr

coralreefengr

Caught my emerald crab plucking polyps off my xenia. I couldn't figure out why it was looking so bad and not recovering. I really couldn't believe my eyes. I was checking out the tank after lights out and saw him pluck something off the xenia but couldn't tell it was a polyp. I watched a little longer and sure enough, he plucked an entire "hand" plumb off. Shortly after, another one. We chased him off, but I'm sure he went right back when he thought the coast was clear.

I'm going to try feeding some sinking pellets. If that doesn't help, he's going bye-bye.

Mine very occassionally does so. But the xenia grows faster than the crab can mow it down, so I have no issues. He does some the trimming for me. if I see him too preoccupied with xenia I give him half of a pleco pellet and he will drop the xenia and retire for the day.

coralreefengr

I think I'm on my way to "problem solved". I got some sinking brine pellets and at least one of the crabs found a pellet and is going to town. It seems only 1 of my 3 xenia have been targeted as food and has not had adequate time to recover.

I just added a Emerald to my tank, though don't have any corals (other than the hitchhikers), but I hope he doesn't do that to mine in the future. As with anything new, I'm going to be keeping a close eye on him.

coralreefengr

This kind of occurence seems hit or miss. It's probably my own fault since I actually have 2 emeralds in my nano. I have another nano upstairs I could move one to, but haven't decided yet.

Archived