Top Shelf Aquatics

Calcium Reactors in nanos

SeeDemTails

I have been looking at some "Mini" calcium reactors latley, like the aqua medic.

I dose kent a & b 2 part daily, with good results in a mixed reed, but I plan on setting up and SPS /clam system and was thinking of something a little more stable.

Any reccomendations?..Is a calcium reactor worth it in a 15H/10 sump...What are YOU using in your sps nano?

I think it would be a cool experiment wether it fails or not. It would be quite a lot to have for a small tank though, I grew acros and clams in a 2.5 gallon just using sealab blocks(when I remembered to put them in!).

post-26146-1172005784_thumb.jpg

The aqua medic will fit in my sump, as it has only a 6 inch foot print, or I can mount it externally.

I have never had a CA reactor but I thought it might be worth it for stability if I plan on spending some doe on some $$$ sps.

I have been nothing but disappointed by Aqua Medic products... there may be better options.

Also, I wouldn't put a reactor on a nano. I've thought about it but for that cost, the justification just isn't there on a small tank.

the problem with a ca reactor in a nano is that you can't really fit enough coral (real estate-wise) in the tank to produce a calcium requirement that would justify even the smallest commercial reactor

the problem with a ca reactor in a nano is that you can't really fit enough coral (real estate-wise) in the tank to produce a calcium requirement that would justify even the smallest commercial reactor

I've come close :P

Actually, the biggest issue with a calcium reactor IMO, is the ph of the effluent. It'll be coming out at about 6.5 to 6.8. Now, you've got to ensure it goes through a skimmer, or have some other method, to bring everything back to 8.2.

Archived