Pod Your Reef

what did my coral just do?

Mmorse

I was watching tv when out of the corner of my eye I saw my green open brain coral spit something out! it was white and kinda like tons of little threads. it looked like an erupting volcano : there wasnt much of it and it disapeared after a minute, but I cant figure out what it did?

Sound like spawning behaviour...although that rarely happens in captive situations....could be just egesting its last meal...that kinda thing happens when your mouth and anus are the same thing...

harbingerofthefish

First time my frogspawn relieved itself, I freaked out too. If it eats it craps. It should be a sign of health for your brain too.

y'know, it can go blind doing that. :P what did you do? leave out one of those reefkeeping books and the brain saw the centerfold? :D

like the others mention, darker crappie usually is such.

the milky stuff is um, plankton. don't get any ideas of adding some of "mm's homemade phyto". :

having espi pee into tanks to help cycling is bad enough. :x

I took the advice from others on this site and went and bought some frozen mysis shrimp to feed to my green open brain. I put one in there and forgot to turn my pumps off and lets just say that piece went to the hermits. The next one I put right by the mouth of the gob and went to go get another piece and by the time I got back it was gone. I thought it fell so I put another in and watched in wonder as it slowly moved it toward its mouth. that could have been the coolest thing I have ever seen. Although I did not feed it with the lights out but I just did a water change this morning and its tentacles were out so I figured why not feed it.

Archived