ReefCleaners.org

Nassaurius Snail Questions

pennylesst

I have a few questions on these guys. I have 2 of them in my 12g. How often do you see them? Do you feed them daily? If they don't come out do you remove the uneaten food or leave it for the other snails? What do you feed them? I have been dropping in a couple of shrimp pellets.

The reason I am asking this is, how do you know if they are even alive? I don't see them often, (only had them for a week).

I recently added new frags to the tank and my parameters are up on the nitrates and nitrites and even after doing a water change they are still up. Just trying to figure out if maybe there is something dead in there, like a snail that is casuing this.

I got 6 of them in my tank..I hardly ever see them..lastnight I was feeding my suncoral and one came blasting out of the sand. Still have no idea on the others...I see there little parascopes sticking out of the sand usually.

I got 6 of them in my tank..I hardly ever see them..lastnight I was feeding my suncoral and one came blasting out of the sand. Still have no idea on the others...I see there little parascopes sticking out of the sand usually.

Normally I see that too, I haven't seen them since Saturday and was just curiuos on what is typical behavior is. They sure are facsincating creatures!

Thanks!

They burry in the sand until their "snorkel" smells food, then they come up. You dont need to feed them anything. Mine surface when I feed the fish in the tank. If you are dropping food in just for them you are probably making a waste trap down the road.

sparticleveland

I rarely see the nassarius snails in our 12G unless I am feeding the other critters. Often they don't come out even then. But they seem more inclined to put in an appearance when I am feeding either the Coralife plankton to the corals or the frozen mysis shrimp/algae blocks to the rest of the tank. The flake food or wafer algae doesn't seem to interest them.

Your parameters may be up if you are feeding the frags. The solute food for most corals can really dirty the water pretty quickly -- it's important to be careful not to overfeed. Not saying you are, but I noticed my parameters took a quick jump when I started feeding the corals. I cut back and the nitrate levels went back to normal and the corals (a mushroom and a GSP) are growing beautifully.

Also, shrimp pellets can nasty up a tank pretty quickly unless something is eating them immediately, IME. Remove any uneaten food within minutes, generally before it dissolves. I use a turkey baster.

I actually put some Strontium & Molydenum along with a few drops of PhytoPlex for the corals in yesterday. I bought a turkey baster yesterday and used it to suck up the shrimp pellets after they sat for a few minutes. So it sounds like I don't need to be using those pellets anyway.

I was begining to wonder about them though, since I hardly ever see them.

I am kind of paranoid right now since my levels went up. However, I checked the parameters a while ago when I got home from work and thank God they have went back down.

Archived