inTank Media Baskets

target mandarin - flat worms

southernfried

southernfried

I have heard it does and I have heard nothing will eat flatworms. I had a recent outbreak of flatworms which I have attributed to the pod explosion in my tank (just started a fuge). I am hoping that it either will eat the flatworms or outcompete them for food. Any thoughts?

Yes I am running a ton of carbon (in prayers of a flatworm extinction event in my tank)

The flatworms are very small as of now and I can't tell of they are the red or clear variety.

It is a standard 20H (so the mandarin will probably have to go eventually, unless I can keep pumping pods at this rate)

As of now I have the fuge cut off to stop adding pods for now

TIA

fishybusiness

Flatworms are more of a visual pest if anything. I think you should probably wait it out. Just get a little siphon and every now and then take some out. A mandarin most likely wouldn't survive on flatworms. Sixline or Possum wrasse might be better.

Mrseptember15

There was a post of someone having trouble on choosing food after his mandarin has eaten all the flatworms in the tank. Flatworms is no good diet for a mandarin but its obviously been done. Having a good amount of L.R and copepod population should do good but if your looking for something to take away your flatworms a 6line wrasse would do a better job.

Just don't buy a mandarin, and we won't have to dig up the thousands of threads that we've made warning idiots against mandarins in nanos. Go buy a yellow-tail blue damsel for $3 and your problem is solved. Might sound odd, but I personally have done it, and I do know what I'm talking about typically. How big is your tank? Most flatworm outbreaks are usually from a coral that is added to a tank without being properly dipped and quarantined.

Archived