Pod Your Reef

sand sifting star in trouble

mascencerro

Somehow, for some reason, my sand sifting star got wrapped around the intake of my AC110, and now one of its legs is pretty torn up. What are the chances it will pull through? I don't have any pics because its currently hiding behind my GSP rock and the batteries in my camera died when I was trying to take a picture of one of the zoa spiders that came on a frag I got the other day (of course, while in quarantine, the I couldn't get all the spiders, and the colony was all lost in 3 days).

It'll probably get an infection and die, chances are low it will recover.

Why do you have a Sand-Sifting Star in the first place? They cannot live in a nano-reef, there isn't nearly enough food for them.

long story about why I have him...

what do you think I should do about him though? Should i leave it and let it be, and let my hermits and snails have at him when he's done, or is there a decent way to euthanize a star that I should be looking at? I don't want it to die and take the whole tank with it.

If you think it's honestly going to die, you'll want to get rid of it, like you said...

Euthanizing Starfish seems tricky. I've never heard of it. Maybe a jab with a knife to the oral disk would kill it?

I'm not quite sure, wait for other responses.

Jabbing it in the oral disk will probably hurt it- an unwanted thing. I don't think there is a proper way to do it. Maybe putting it in the fridge then into the freezer in that order might be a nice thing to do?

maybe just fridge it? although that might be too slow. It may sound horrible but maybe if you had a friend with a triggerfish then that might be quick

CGNano, 18 Feb 2007, 07:50 PM

this is confusing.

I agree :lol:

Archived