Coral Vue Hydros

Hagen 68 Tropiquarium

Panic

Hi,

Been interested in Nanos for several years (long before the fad started), but never had the time. Always wanted to build my own - I'm a terrible perfectionist.

Yesterday I was at a LFS and I saw a demo model Hagen Tropiquarium 68 - 19 Gallons going for cheap. Compared to the aquariums that the LFS's churn out, it's a thing of beauty, thick glass, well manufactured. Nicely molded hood. I love it.

However I have the following concerns:

1. The hood in unaltered state can only house two tubes - I want to house some inverts and was very sceptical when he showed me an identical tank with a few inverts which he said were "flourishing". Has anyone made a mod to the hood, have pictures? Any advice on just two tubes (marine-glo and an actinic) for inverts?

2. The funny hang-on filter looks like crap... dunno what all it does, should I dump it? Think it's a form of wet-dry filter.

eh?

Panic

Thanks for the replies!

Well, um, I use the word "fad" lightly. I should've said "the wave of the future"!

The tubes are, um, er, actually, I dunno. MarineGlo - I think VHO. I would probably use them in the initial seeding on the tank and after 2 or three months modify the hood to accomodate 4 VHO tubes.

I'd be happy with the less demanding inverts such as polyps and elephant ears (mushrooms?) - the tank is primarily to occupy my daughter in deliberate absence of television.

cheers

Panic

Archived