Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mantis attacking mushrooms

Carinya

My mantis, out of the blue, has started bashing my mushrooms. They're somewhat new to the tank and have been in ther about 3 weeks now. *whap* *whap* *whap* and the mushroom has a gaping hole. I thought maybe I hadn't fed the mantis well enough (depite the fact that it gets frozen krill every other day and has a nice clean up crew on which to graze) so I fed it another krill. Not a half hour later...*whap* Poor mushroom. Relocated now & doing fine. I figured he just didn't like the looks of that hairy mushroom and that was the end of that. But today he went on the same tirade against another mushroom. Completely different type of mushroom (but also added about 3 weeks ago).

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is he just not getting enough food? So odd. Even if I have the lone psycho coral-attacking mantis, I thought at least I'd share with the class.

C

I had a mantis shrimp that came with my Atlantic uncured live rock . I made the mistake of leaving it (this was few yrs back) .

One night it ripped to pieces 2 of my feather dusters which were no where his home. I got rid of him gave him to someone who likes them and it lives in a 10 gallon where it goes out of his way to destroy everything.

Get rid of it .

Oh, I'm not going to get rid of it. At least not because of the mushroom incidents. The mushrooms are just in another tank now, which is fine with me. The 'shrooms will be relocated to my softie/seahorse tank before the spring is out, hopefully. If the mantis goes on a tirade against all my corals I guess I'd have to find him either another owner or set up a separate tank. Most likely the latter. :)

So consensus is that it's just a decorating issue, more or less. Interesting. I've had him for going ~1.5 years now and this was his first coral attack. Wonder why just now. Eh. Who knows I guess.

There is one more mushroom (a third & distinct type from the other two) that was added at about the same time & is about in the same location in the tank. Guess we'll see if he goes after it as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

C

Oh, I'm not going to get rid of it. At least not because of the mushroom incidents. The mushrooms are just in another tank now, which is fine with me. The 'shrooms will be relocated to my softie/seahorse tank before the spring is out, hopefully. If the mantis goes on a tirade against all my corals I guess I'd have to find him either another owner or set up a separate tank. Most likely the latter. :)

So consensus is that it's just a decorating issue, more or less. Interesting. I've had him for going ~1.5 years now and this was his first coral attack. Wonder why just now. Eh. Who knows I guess.

There is one more mushroom (a third & distinct type from the other two) that was added at about the same time & is about in the same location in the tank. Guess we'll see if he goes after it as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

C

Oh yes if you have had him for 1.5 years he is like a pet. I know some enjoy them .

Archived