Pod Your Reef

Weekend Remodeling

scarf_ace1981

scarf_ace1981

last friday after doing some groceries i decided to reaquascape my 120g. i originally planned a large mound right in the middle of the tank but came out w/ something totally different. no rocks were added/removed. hope you guys enjoy

then:

DSCN1924_929016.jpg

i started w/ the pile in the middle then the one on left an right there and then i decided to bridge the two. the last pile i made was the one on the right and it all came together like magic.

aquascaping only took me 2hrs. it took me another 3hrs to place the corals where i wanted them.

now:

DSCN1912_932495.jpg

scarf_ace1981

there is as much space behind the rockwork as there is in front. it's cool to see all the fish from any angle of the tank.

they like to chill in the shaded areas but can still be seen since it's so open.

any comments welcomed. i wish that i'd never have to tear this tank down but unfortunately i will have to in just a couple months.

i will try to the best of my abilities to copy this style when i set up the tank again.

i did not take the fish out and i did not take all the corals out.

this is the result of freeform piling.

i make very sure the supporting rocks are touching the bottom glass and that the other rocks placed on top are very sturdy.

i give them a good shake. if the move jsut a bit then i look for a better rock or try to reposition it so it doesn't move in any way.

this is the way i have done my rockwork ever since i started.

the top platform allows me to place my sps as close to the light as possible. not to mention that's where all the flow is. the bottom areas are for the lps and the shaded areas under the ledges are for light sensetive corals.

scarf_ace1981

good question. i have no idea. i've gotten most of my rock from members who break down their tanks. i know there's about 50lbs of fiji in there that i ordered not too long ago but the rest i have no clue

Archived