SaltCritters.com

green brain coral

Mmorse

I just bought a green brain coral today and when I first was acclimating and putting it in the tank all tentacles were out. as the day went on the tentacles went back in as expected. Then it almost looked like it was closing up. tonight when I turned the lights out and waited a while I thought the tentacles would come out again and nothing after hours of waiting it looks like the skeleton is showing in the middle. Anybody know whats wrong with it? is it in a place of too much current or too much light?

I noticed mine started turning a bit brown in the center so I've just angled it more sideways... I've also noticed from experience with mine, that after I move it (I've moved it from the main tank to a hospital tank, hospital back to the main tank, and re-arranged in the main tank) that it can take a day or more for it to feel "comfortable" again and open completely... since I re-adjusted it's angle to the light yesterday, it was not fully open today

Also, my false perc has taken a liking to the GOB at night... so when the lights are out, the clown curls up into the folds of the GOB.. I don't usually see it's feeding tenticles until earlier in the morning (when the lights are still out, but the clown is awake and out of the GOB) or when I start to feed other corals and it gets a wiff of it..

You don't need to feed them daily.. weekly should do fine of a few small chunks of food.. anything left on the flesh longer then 45 minutes should be removed... the smaller it is the easier it is to digest.. I use a mix of squid, krill, mysis, and small pieces of full size shrimp...

try not to keep touching it to move it around.. it irritates the coral and puts out a slime (which is, coincidentally, why my GOB is affectionally called Slimer)... they are moderate light and moderate flow corals... make sure it stays clean of any debri (mine collected debri from floating matter and I had to clean it off with a turkey baster - since adjusting the flow in the tank, and the angle of the coral, it seems to be fine now) and does not take direct light unless it is towards the bottom of the tank (since mines sits half way up the rock work, I have it angled at about 45 degrees from the lights)

Archived