SaltCritters.com

Hagen test KH at 200 mg/l

NDonily

When I woke up this morning I had a look at my clown and to my dissipointment he has ICK. So I got out the test kit to see how the water parameters are , everything seems fine excepted my KH is at 200 mg/l. My test kit says it should be around 105 - 125 mg/l.

My ph is 8.1

nitrates 15 ppm

nitrites undetectable

amonia around 0.1

I reasently added a small bunch of Buble Caulerpa. Tank has been up and running for about 8 weeks now.

What ta do? Thanks for your replies and advice

High KH will not give your fish ich. I would also check your test kits. Unless you have added livestock recently, you shoud not show any amonia at all. I am assuming you just got the clown within the past week or so?

He has been in there for a week and a bit. I think I will go and have my water tested at the LFS. The white spots on the fish are gone now?

Be careful, ich is known to "jump ship" only to reproduce 10 fold in your substate and within a couple days re-enter the water column in search of a host to feed on. The clown may not make it the next time around. Either try and quarantine the fish for a month in an ich free tank while the ich in your reef starves to death or try the garlic in the food trick and hope the fishes imune system becomes strong enough to fight the little buggers off. Good luck. PS, your sure it was ich, right?

Archived