Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3 gal stocking options

shroomhead

Hello,

I am considering setting up a small JBJ Picotope 3 gallon aquarium and i was wondering if this combonation of inverts would work?

1 Porcelain Crab

2 Bumble Bee Shrimp

2-3 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs (clean-up)

1 Turbo Snail (clean-up)

1 Nassarius Snail (clean-up)

1 Dwarf Feather Duster

Try a couple of Pom Pom Crabs (you'll see them more then a porcelein) and maybe a couple sexy shrimp or 1 Blue coral banded shrimp. you might also be able to put in a red cap Goby if you're deligent with water peram's and there's a stable ambient temp.

circusordie16

your original plan sounds fine although id check about bumble bee shrimps eating habits and maybe consider a couple astreas instead of a turbo because turbos get kinda large and clumsy. i definitely wouldnt put in a coral banded shrimp and i dont think a fish in a 3 gallon is a good idea either although it can be done. but definitely not a fish with a coral banded shrimp or pom pom crabs running around.

your original plan sounds fine although id check about bumble bee shrimps eating habits and maybe consider a couple astreas instead of a turbo because turbos get kinda large and clumsy. i definitely wouldnt put in a coral banded shrimp and i dont think a fish in a 3 gallon is a good idea either although it can be done. but definitely not a fish with a coral banded shrimp or pom pom crabs running around.

I'd like to correct you on a couple points, I said Blue Coral banded shrimp first of all, who much like a zanzibar shrimp stay small (about a max of 2 in") and are not agressive. My statement regarding the Pom Pom Crabs comes from experience Porcelein crabs stay very hidden, even in Pico's they can keep from being seen. Pom Pom's however (and trust me I know having 8 of them) don't mind being seen when they get comfortable and will not kill any fish. I will agree that stocking a 3 gal with fish requires an understanding that you will need to keep an even tighter watch on your water conditions, but it can be done. My suggestions are almost an exact replica of my pico in regards to stock. Having said all that I always like to mention that every tank is different and what works for one won't be guarenteed to work for another.

best wishes in whatever you do

circusordie16

from looking up a blue coral banded shrimp online it comes up the same as a regular coral banded, just different colors. so i still think that the shrimp wouldnt do that well in a small tank with how large its antenna get but i could be wrong and dont have personal experience, just giving my opinion.

and i agreed that pom poms would be fun, however i said that i wouldnt put in a fish AND pom pom crabs. poms poms by themselves i agree with and think would make a great tank.

and i didnt say that a fish cant be done, i just said that i believe its not the best idea and that i would put in a fish AND other inverts.

Stenopus tenuirostris Blue Boxer Shrimp. Tropical Indo-Pacific. To 2 cm. Exceedingly shy in the wild and in captivity. A small beauty nonetheless. N. Sulawesi (Lembeh Strait) pic. "information from wet web media"

Scroll to just above the middle of the page to see picture

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/stenopodidae.htm

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...cfm?pCatId=1134

Working in SW fish store, I have personally seen very large Coral banded shrimp and heard many horror stories regarding their predatory nature. The Stenopus tenuirostris stays small and is only agressive to conspecifics.

The antenna dont get nearly as large as your typical coral banded shrimp, but I guess it all comes down to what a person feels comfortable doing. If I wasn't obsessive with testing my water and my watching my tanks daily I wouldn't try anything that I do now. This is a very volatile hobby and anything can go wrong and cause a lot of hearache. So I do agree with you that for many people adding a stock list like mine would be a bad idea.

Archived