SaltCritters.com

Need help with 5.5 gallon nano....

jimpruitt

Hello. I tried to find these answers on my own by browsing the forums, but want to be sure before I buy stuff. I currently have a 75g fish-only (with live rock) tank setup and now I'm looking to setup a nano-reef.

I have a 5.5 all glass aquarium with the plastic hood it came with and a hang-on filter. I know I need new lighting, but not sure what kind and where to buy it. (question #1).

I know the nano's depend on natural filtration and I'd like to use 6 lbs of live rock from my 75 gallon tank. Would this be ok?

I know I need to buy live sand also. Does all of the sand need to be "live" or do I just use some Southdown and spike it with live sand?

Finally, this tank was used one time as a quarrantine tank about a year ago. My tang had ick and I used it to medicate him. Is that going to be a problem? Do I need to buy a new tank? Can I sterilize it somehow?

THanks a lot!! I'm really excited about starting a nano and really appreciate any help you can give me!!!

I asked alot of those same questions. At the top of the sight page there is one button that is flashing. You're not the first not to see it (trust me). Push that button, by the way it says Search.

There are tons of lighting options........seriously.

It really depends on what you want to keep.

Clams +Sps= Metal Halide, although some are succesful under PC

LPS + Softies= Pc

You can usually find decent lighting systems for well under $150 (excluding mh- i think), depending how serious you wanna go....

For under $100 Dave Espi (youll know him soon enough) is making me a 2x32w PC custom hood...

Or im SURE you could find a used setup for even cheaper than that.

As far as sterilizing the tank goes, Id jsut clean it really well with some hot water and soap..i wouldnt bleach or anything.... GOod luck and welcom to teh 5.5 club.

Archived