Innovative Marine Aquariums

Night pics of 10 gallon nano

Brooklyn Johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

Hey all... got the camera out while taking a leak a few nights ago and got some cool shots of my kitchen nano... start it off with my tricolor acro with polyps extended...

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's my emerald crab in my montipora... he seems to think he's an acro crab and hangs in sps colonies... he's been cool though... nice addition to any nano reef I think...

Brooklyn Johnny

One of my two scarlets... he's probably gone blind since I flashed him about two inches from the glass... no he's not eating the polyps ;)

Brooklyn Johnny

My percula in his host my frogspawn... you could see I recently had to frag this (after fighting through the nasty little clown). On an off note this little bast*** actually BITES me... he's too darn cute to not like though...

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's my Turbinaria reiniforms (yellow cup coral)... within 5 minutes of lights out he opens his polyps... awesome corals these guys are...

Haha, my clown bites me too. He has hosted to my (really his) hammer and bites me any time I put my hand in the water. He has even left little red marks from his bites. I guess he has developed a hatred for anything new that comes into his tank. And forget about getting near his hammer coral, he will destroy anything close. The latest victim was my new emerald crab that just took a beating from the clown who knocked the crab off a rock and didnt stop beating him til he was a good distance away. It was pretty funny to watch actually.

Hey Johnny,

Nice tank (I saw your other posts as well showing the evolution of your tank).

Two quick questions:

1. How is your fungia doing (and how long have you had it)? I also have a pink fungia that is at least stable under 2X36 watt pc lighting but I was recently told that they need pretty high light so I was getting a little concerned... until I saw yours.

2. How are your maximas doing. Similar to the above, I was CONSIDERING adding a clam to my tank but was concerned whether my lighting would be sufficient.

I do realize that you have a 10 gallon tank which is 12"H vs my 18 gallon Via Aqua tank @ 18"H - but this is only relevant for the fungia which sits at the bottom of the tank since the clam would be positioned high in the tank. I am also pondering/planning to add another 36 watt bulb for a total of 108 watts, hopefully that would be sufficient.

Any thoughts or insight you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Calvin

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks again... bigreefer frogspawn is actually a long polyp stony coral, but clownfish, especially wild caught ones, are well-known for "hosting" in many things including balls of yarn, macroalgae, and all different types of corals.

littlec... 1. My fungia I guess I've had for about six months or so, and it has settled in nicely and has grown quite a bit. It is not as pink as when I got it, but this was expected, but it's healthy. I do not spot feed anything in my nano. I would definately keep an eye on yours, as I'd be concerned if mine was any further from the light. If you notice any degeneration I would move it up in your tank, or give it away to a buddy.

2. My clams are THRIVING, and show plenty of growth. I have the three maximas up high in the tank, and the squamosa is on the sand. If you want, start with a small squamosa in your tank. I feed heavily though and am convinced my refugium offers a lot of stability. I love my clams though...

Anyway it's always tough to tell works, but I hope my tank shows some opportunities. A lot of boards spread misinformation (especially regarding nanos), and that's one of the reasons nano-reef.com kicks *** and is a great source of info.

Go for it on the clams, and keep an eye on the fungia...

HTH

Johnny

Archived