ReefCleaners.org

Whats the word on the street?

The Propagator

The Propagator

I got a rather large rock of these yesterday.

They look like a named paly bu tI cant think of it and I cant find it on Zoaid

(which sux BTW. There are so many IDENTICLE zoanthids and palys with different names on there is is pathetic.)

So any ways here ae a couple frags I made tonight.

They have a much more pronounced blue skirt in person, and more of a gold sparkle with green in the center.

Funkypaly.jpg

Edited by The Propagator
Jon in SW Ohio

Doesn't look like any I've seen named. There are some "nuisance" palythoas with similar coloration other than the skirt, but yours look more like the same taxa as the Nuclear Greens and Purple Deaths. My Purple Deaths get the same bluish-turquoise skirt under halides.

Nice pick up!!

The Propagator

Thanks John,

They arent a nussaince paly.

I know the ones your talking about. ( the browns with stiped centers and a faint green glow)

These are more like a people eater.

I have a frag of 5 polyps of those, got em for free so i hope you didnt pay the boutique price for them!! I think they are just greenish goldish palys with a pretty blue skirt.

The Propagator

Not at all. I got a colony of around 100 or so.

I will have to get a better pic of them.

They realy are a beautifull paly.

I am gonna call them "Blue Flame Palys"

and I just did on Ebay LOL!!

i have these, fast growers. one of the fastest growing palys i've seen. they can change color significantly too. i originally bought a 12-polyp(?) colony with the golden fleckled top last year. it's grown into probably a half-dozen similar-sized ones of creme color, golden, and greenish golden.

now that's not really lighting quick growth (for aquaculturers) but i don't feed anything in my setups. not even the fish. so all that was powered thru whatever ambient plankton and light, only.

nice hardy palys but they snot up something fierce. bleah.

Thanks John,

They arent a nussaince paly.

I know the ones your talking about. ( the browns with stiped centers and a faint green glow)

These are more like a people eater.

what makes them a nussaince? i have some of them and think they are pretty cool...

Jon in SW Ohio

There's one type of Paly/Protopaly that grows faster than yellow star polyps to the point of being a nuisance, in some tanks at least.

The only thing I see in common between the ones above and "nuisance" ones is the color. Sorry I worded that kinda funny. I think the ones above are the same species/taxa as Purple Deaths from their basic shape, tentacles, and how the body looks where it is exposed in the pic.

Edited by Jon in SW Ohio
The Propagator
what makes them a nussaince? i have some of them and think they are pretty cool...

Thewy grow over EVERY THING very very QUICKLY.

TR you dont have the ones we are talking about homey.

Theese things is UGLY. I have them and cant give them away !

Six,

"smash and grab?"

What?

We are in the "coral" forum not the "Aquacultured" forum :)

I have to start some where.

I have to have stock to propagate and some times wild collected is the only way.

Not all of my stuff is aquacultured. At the moment though roughly %75 of it is.

ALL of my SPS,and LPS are. and roughly %50 of my polyps.

All my Gorgs, GSP, leathers ect ect..... are as well.

Incase your talking about fragging and reselling. YES.

BUT I give them a full 7 days to recover. I dont ship them off right after I frag them.

Incase your talking about stealing from the ocean,

I did not personaly collect these. I dont know how many times I have to say it but I live in OHIO not Florida :haha:

These are wild collected but they were collected legaly so far as I know.

I got them from a local vender who ordered them from a liscensed collector/wholesaler.

Did you smash and grab your coral?

;)

Here's the way I see it Prop.

When I hear "Blue Flame"---it's probably just me----But I instantly think about lighting farts.

I would call them "JADE BEAUTY PROTOPALYS"---you will kill with a name like that. Have I steered you wrong before? Try next week and see if the new name doesn't sell for more. ;)

The Propagator

That does sound interesting mark.

sephroth_r1, if you werent a steelers fan I would. :haha:

How is Rothesberger's ( how every ya spell it LOL!) face doing after that face plant he made on his bike ?

That does sound interesting mark.

sephroth_r1, if you werent a steelers fan I would. :haha:

How is Rothesberger's ( how every ya spell it LOL!) face doing after that face plant he made on his bike ?

You better be joking... i had a bad enough day already my friend! lol yesterday, my truck froze its locks on me, today, my ps2 (second one) went to $hit.

Bah, chowder played him to much this past season, for gods sake let the boy recover. oh well, cower is done now. new coach, and almost all new assistants. PM me a price btw.

armor of god would be nice too. but then again, with my l uck, i better not touch anything reef related, lol.

Edited by sephroth_r1

im way late responding to propagator, but shash and grag is buying a colony, smashing it up and immediately selling the frags. This is business based activity, meaning it is done to make a turn around buck off the coral colony bought. sure, shash a mother colony up to grow out frags, or make new mother colonies, but to shash and let people 'grab' whats there for increased prices is IMO not a good thing for thr hobby.

sure, it gets more frags out there, which is good, but how many live? how many POd people kill those frags and thus get a little miffed at the hobby and their skills? if you have a mother colony under your care and you trim back, that's not the same as what im talking about. im talking about buying a colony just to smash it up and resell it quickly, without skill or husbandry in rasing it or sometimes even properly acclimating it.

make more sense?

Edited by Six
The Propagator

I know what your saying, but read my response more carefully again.

I dont buy coral regularly just to smash it up and sell it until its gone just to make a profit.

If I did I wouldnt ALWAYS have the same polyps for sale.

( check my auctions "duane867" )

I buy wild collected, and aquacultured alike depending on what I want to keep around and grow out.

Emphasis on "grow out" six ;)

ALL of my sps for example I have grown out from frags less than 1/4" and some as small as 1/8th" tall. got pics of them if you would like to see?

In fact I have pics of my whopper of a pink paly colony when I 1st got it.

I bought it as a FOUR POLYP FRAG 4 years ago.

;)

Sure I will buy a nice large W/C colony if I like it.

But you can bet I dont sell fresh frags, nore will I sell that particular colony off in little bits until it is all gone. I never sell a frag less than a week old of any thing. I wont sell a frag if it looks questionable to me either. Thats not how you get repeat customers ;)

Look at my feed back closer on Ebay. My over all feedvack os well over 300 but it only reflects 165. That because a whole lot of people came back ;) Thats also nt including those who I have sld to localy, n here , and via email, as well as the few shops I sell to localy and on the west coast when they are out of a certain coral.

Just ask the 200 or so people who have pm'ed or emailed me off here I have turned down when they have asked me to buy smething I only have a couple frags left of, or when my mother colonies are looking thin.

They sometimes get a little testy but I dont care. That ensures there will always be more of that coral to be spread around.

I would say you and ceasar777 take the cake with questioning me though LOL!!

Ceasar777 with the price gouging, and you with the reef destroyer is killing me :haha:

Buy somthing from me, then you can juge for your self based on proof not speculation.

Or have one of your friends I dont know buy somthing from me and check it out that way?

Edited by The Propagator
  • 11 years later...