Innovative Marine Aquariums

clownfish disease

Primeval

so are there any other advances or findings that have been made for this brook disease of clownfish. my female just started this earlier today. I'm kind of attached to it after 1 year, as is the other clownfish. id like to save her. any treatments for the tank?

also, she seems to be sucking on the frogspawn that they like to host. Shes seemed to have picked a particular tentacle on it and is trying to stick it in her mouth every few minutes.

when food was presented she swam around as she normally would with the other clown (crazy search for food) but she seems to be spending alot more time towards the bottom than actively swimming like normal.

These clowns have been in the tank for almost a year now with no signs of illness ever. I have however added new coral: 2 frogspawns, 1 yellow yeather, red mushrooms and yellow polyps. They have been in the tank for a week now and are thriving great. All of these corals have been at the LPS that I frequent for about a month in their 75 display.

I did move both clowns out of the tank and into a large jar of their own water to do some aquascaping the day before because they kept getting in my way. They were in there for maybe 10 minutes with no signs of stress. Maybe the net injured them or me disturbing their habitat that they have become so used to for the last year. who knows.

help!

i just set up a 2.5 gallon AGA with a penguin filter with just a floss pad and added 5 drops of formalin to the tank. Is it okay to leave the fish in this tank with the formalin?

imo that tank is too small to qt fish. you'll need to do water changes every day to take out the ammonia and nitrite. the formalin will kill your bacteria bed and thus your tank will recycle every dose. IME a 10g is a much better qt tank and given that most meds are in "x" per 10g doses, it's easier in a 10. a 2.5 would mean very calculated dosing which will be difficult.

i'd just do a formalin dip instead of treating in a qt tank with it. also, try not to ever put any marine fish intoa bowl. it's too small and too stressful for thema nd can make the problem worse.

gl

thanks. I ended up just leaving the clown in the 2.5 for about 4 hrs. She has closed her mouth now and the spots are gone...for now

and for your own knowledge, formalin is done 2 drops per 1 gallon

so are there any other advances or findings that have been made for this brook disease of clownfish. my female just started this earlier today. I'm kind of attached to it after 1 year, as is the other clownfish. id like to save her. any treatments for the tank?

also, she seems to be sucking on the frogspawn that they like to host. Shes seemed to have picked a particular tentacle on it and is trying to stick it in her mouth every few minutes.

when food was presented she swam around as she normally would with the other clown (crazy search for food) but she seems to be spending alot more time towards the bottom than actively swimming like normal.

These clowns have been in the tank for almost a year now with no signs of illness ever. I have however added new coral: 2 frogspawns, 1 yellow yeather, red mushrooms and yellow polyps. They have been in the tank for a week now and are thriving great. All of these corals have been at the LPS that I frequent for about a month in their 75 display.

I did move both clowns out of the tank and into a large jar of their own water to do some aquascaping the day before because they kept getting in my way. They were in there for maybe 10 minutes with no signs of stress. Maybe the net injured them or me disturbing their habitat that they have become so used to for the last year. who knows.

help!

i just had my female get the same thing a little over a week ago, and she was also pretty attached to the male i had with her so i was worried and wanted to save her, mine sounds like it was a little more severe than yours cuz she had her mouth stuck open with some red spots and one white spot forming... but anyways i took everything ou of my new 10 gallon i was just starting and put her in there with some medication....i had it in there for 5 days with the treatment then put some carbon in the filter to get rid of the medication, left her in there for 5 more days and thank god she made it and shes back with her buddy in my tank....she was lookin really bad with red spots on the mouth and the mouth stuck open but its all good now, any updates with yours? good luck

she ended up having one white spot on her mouth and one on her side. After the bath her mouth closed and the spots went away immediately. all seems normal now and shes back in the reef tank

Archived