inTank Media Baskets

JustDavidP's 20 Gallon Reef

JustDavidP

My 20 gallon Nano was my first marine tank. People told me I was crazy because a tank that small is hard to keep in check. I have had freshwater and cichlid tanks since I was pre teen (hint - that was 20-someodd years ago) and had done a stint at the LFS. I was sure that I would be able to do it. Besides, until the basement is completed, I didn't have the room for a larger tank. Through a lot of planning, trial and error, I have created a reef that I am happy with. Now I'm just itching to get another,larger reef.

The particulars:

20 gallon high standard tank.

Jalli 2X55 watt Power Compact Light.

CPR BakPakIIR Protein Skimmer.

23 or so lbs of Fiji and Tonga live rock.

5 or 6 inch DSP mix of Southdown, Carribsea and Live Sand Donations from friends.

Stonies - Branching Frogspawn, Red Open Brain, Alveopora

Softies - Xenia, Chili Cactus, Finger Leather, Knobby Leather

Polyps - Yellow matting, Green Star, Brown Zoos, Red Zoos, Green Zoos, Gracilis Yellows

Shrooms - Scarlets, Speckled, Green Metallic, Ricordia of two types

Tridacna Maxima & Squamosa - My Centerpieces named "Max" and "Squamy" How Original

False Percula, Orchid Dottyback, Brittle Star, Serpent Star, Lysmata Cleaner, Scarlet and Blue Legged Hermits, Emerald Crab, Snails, snails and more snails.

I do a 10 percent water change every two to three weeks, depending on Nitrate testing. I dose only with Seachem products (reef carbonate and reef complete alternated - twice a week)

I used to check ALL water params when I started but now test only when I have that "feeling". My last tests were done a week ago and my nitrates were up :*( (recordable). Coralline algea growth is great, corals are extending, fish are thriving and I am a happy reefer.

Rather than load up Nano with my pics, I will post just one and invite you to visit my website at:

http://www.geocities.com/david_perry_1967/Reef.html

Enjoy!

David

Oh...and I don't have two dottybacks... This picture is spliced left and right (two pictures) to get a better quality shot. You try to tell the dottyback to stop moving :)

how long have you had the clams in there? do you dose phyto for them? any comments about them from your experience keeping them under PCs?

I've had the Maxima since January. It is doing better now than when at the LFS. See my inputs on this thread http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=11110

It's just 5 and some change inches below the PCs. It has regained its lost color and has attached to the LR by byssal threads. Seems pretty happy to me.

The squamosa was added just a couple weeks ago.

I use DTs, Kents Phyto, Marine Snow etc. from time to time. I also have a red chili coral that I spot feed with snow.

This nano is going to become the sump in my new tank this summer. I'm finishing my basement and will swap it all over then.

I really like the tank, the arch shape is really nice. Good placement of corals, over all really nice

C. Jerome

Nice setup! David, is that a self-rotating power head (top right corner)? I just added one (just like yours) to my 10G and the water flow/turbulance is great. Things were good before but now, with the increased flow rate, it's even better. The polyps on my red chili even open in the day! Everything else in the tank love the extra flow. My SPS probably appreciate it the most :D

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU!!

For the great comments. To answer some questions/comments...

C.Jerome: I too like the look of the crescent reef. However, you need LOTS of water movement to keep it clean. I've got a Maxijet 1200 on the top left, a rotating 400 GPH on the top right. I'm looking for yet another smallish profile PH to place low in the tank. It's hard to keep the sediments from lodging in the rockwork.

BigReefer...thanks. I can't wait to check out all of the member tanks!

Danano: Yeah..it's a self rotating PH. They do help in keeping a erratic flow over the corals. They need that to rid waste. However, because I have clams and a couple stonies, I keep my calcium high. The PH tends to get a lot of coralline and carbonate precip on it. I have to clean it almost every two weeks to ensure it rotates.

LiQuiD: No, my pair of False Percs were the first fish added to my reef. They set up shop for a couple months before I moved the dottyback in. I actually had a yellow watchman goby, but it was decimating my sandbed fauna. I gave him to a LFS and got the dottyback. It has plenty of nooks and crannies to play in and leaves the clowns alone.

David

Archived