inTank Media Baskets

URGENT: Xenia being eaten???

ET1201

Hi, currently I have six stalks of xenia in my 10g nano. Yesterday, as I was cleaning the tank, I've noticed that there are small "dents" in three of the xenia stalk. It looks like something had taken a bite of the xenia. I am a little bit worry about this matter. Also, the "abnormal" xenia also has a darker color than the normal ones. Are there known creatures that eat xenia? Or something else in my tank is causing this matter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You might want to list what creatures are in your tank that you know of. I know nothing about Xenia, but I would think that would help others to try and figure it out. Also, how long have you had the xenias? Have you tested your water lately?

I had SOMETHING eat my xenia several months ago.. what it was, I cannot say to this day.. it was eaten down to it's mat, but after moving it to a hospital tank it regrew completely in about 3-4months... I've since moved it back to the main tank (last night as a matter of fact) and will watch it to see if the same thing happens...

also as lostdog says...

secondly.. where are these "dents".. on the stalk towards the bottom, or individual polyp heads?.. mine was eaten top down..

Thanks for the replies, I did test my water, everything seems normal. As for the "suspicious" creatures, I have a cleaner shrimp, four hermit crabs (each of them is a different kind, ie: stripe, blue tip, etc etc), an emerald crab, and 4 snails. I don't believe my fishes would eat it. And the "dents" appear on the stalks of the xenia. Also, I had a stalk of xenia a few months ago, it was "eaten" too, just when it was about to split. At that time, I thought it disintegrated (sp?). It was "eaten" from top down. Anyway, hope that I'll hear more replies soon. Thanks again for any help. :)

list your fish too, more info is better than less info.

emerald crabs may eat xenia, clownfish may eat xenia, tangs may eat xenia, hermit crabs may eat xenia, and so on. these are just a few of the creatures that i've personally witnessed eat xenia in front of me while giving me the bird. :angry: (i swear the emerald gave me the italian salute as he had a polyp sticking outta his mouth!)

it depends on the individual animal and your feeding schedule. once they taste coral flesh i guess they go crazy. also if they're hungry enough i guess they'll eat anything.

just double check that they're not new growth too. i'd hate to sentence an innocent party to the sump or porcelain guillotine.

Once again, thanks for the reply, I have an ocellaris, firefish goby, and a royal gramma. As for the feeding schedule, I do daily feedings of pellets, and phytoplankton and mysis every other day. Is that enough for the crabs and fishes? Again, thanks in advance for any input.

I had a feeling my culprit was either my damn damsel or the peppermint... the peppermint has since been capped by my mafia clean up crew.. so I'm going to keep a close eye on it this week.. I put it back in last night, so if there's a problem I should see it within the next day or so..

I say bear-trap the stuff.. if the culprit comes for a bite, a big metal clamp snaps the bugger in half... problem solved ;)

Archived