Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mangroves Anyone?

chadreef

I have sometimes seen and heard that a mangrove plant is a healthy thing in a reef aquarium (not certain about nanos) Aparantly they work much the same as a protein skimmer, removing wastes and such but my question is weather a small seedling would be sutible for my 10gal nano with 2in of fine aragonite, and a 5200K metal halideB). I want to use one because it looks more natural ,wont be as noisy and wont take up as much space.

If you think it is a bad idea please suggest any small skimmers that may do the right job :| .

Well mangroves do remove nutrients but they dont grow fast enough to make a large impact. That is why you see many people using macro algae (i.e. cualerpa). I have two mangroves in my fug and some Chaetomorpha (macro algae). The Chaetomorpha is a much faster grower therefore absorbing more nutrients to keep itself going. Another benefit to Chaetomorpha is that is will not go sexual. I have tested a few pieces by leaving them in a bucket with no light, no heater in the garage and it still grows as long as I keep adding water from my tank (during water changes).

here is a link to see my tank just scroll down to you see the sump. I do not run a skimmer but then again I dont have a huge bioload either.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=9838

There are a few others here who have mangroves as well. There was a guy who offered them not to long ago and many of us jumped on the offer.

If your intentions are for your main tank to be a mangrove tank go for it! I would like to do one as well but no more room =( You could get some other macros to compliment the mangroves like mexicana or even a little sea grass.

You will have to place the light high to allow the mangrove to grow out. There are a few corals that will do great in there. And if you made the tank a little larger maybe a cardnel or 2.

Here is Julian Sprungs mangrove tank:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~thebobo/afm.htm

Featured article on Advanced Aquarist's by Daniel Knop http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/apr...002/feature.htm

sorry, borrow this thread for a while...

DeskJockey

i'm still new to this hobby, how does a macro algae looks like? where to i get or cultivate them?

siesure... lol

Anthony Calfo: BOOK on CORAL PROPIGATION.

Perhaps the BEST written chapter on mangroves in captive reefs I have read.

get it

read it

love it

or do a g000000000gle search. lots of info. ;)

technoshaman

I have about 10 mangroves sprouting leaves - 12-14" high in my sump on my 75 gallon. Do they do anything? Maybe. they look cool as hell though. If you want nutrient export then there are many species of macroalgaes both ornamental and otherwise that work better.

A true mangrove type biotope would be cool but would be too slow to develop and too damn big for a nano setup.

Ditto on Calfo's book. More people should read this book and learn some PRACTICAL reefkeeping.

Archived