inTank Media Baskets

hey everybody what do people think about 10 g nano?

Salty

i am getting ready to set up a 10 gallon nano reef. i have a 20" coral life power compact, argalive live sand and about 12lbs fiji premium live rock. i get the live rock at like 6.99 a lb. (work at a fish store specializing in coral :woot: ) is there any other thing i need to get the tank cycling? do i need damesels like a regular salt water tank? what about a skimmer? is that really a need? i have people using a hang-on-back filter with a power head. is that good enough filtration. i asked my boss but he as never set up a nano before. thanks for the help.

It should cycle just fine without a damsel. The skimmer is not nescessary, just do regular water changes. The hang-on-back filter is up to you. Some people like it, some don't. I personally think it helps. Plus it gives you a place to put carbon if you ever need to.

The next thing you buy should be test kits. At least ammonia, nitrate, pH. Nitrite and dkH test kits would be good to have too. Make sure to read up about what each test is for.

Test the water regularly at first to see how the cycle is going (at least once a day), and then you can do it less frequently. You can start adding livestock (SLOWLY) after your nitrates are almost 0. And if you have good pH, alkalinity, etc....

freakaccident

Dont add a damsel until the cycle completes. I would never add a damsel if I were you. Nearly impossible to catch and they are straight from Hell. Search for cycle if you dont know what it is. Grab a dead marine fish from the store you work at and stick it in there to jumpstart the cycle.

Archived