Top Shelf Aquatics

Help with installing fan on canopy?

stonepran

Hello. I'm buying a acrylic canopy to place on my 29g, although for an extra $5 I can have a 3" HOLE for a fan. I spent enough on the canopy itself, I figured instead of spending $79 to let them install a fan, I'd do it myself? silly? Has anyone installed a fan on a canopy is it a difficult thing to do? Also where can I purchase a fan to fit this 3" hole and hopefully a fan with a plug I can connect to the wall to work!

Thanks!

:)

Visit your friendly neighborhood Radio Shack, buy a 3" fan for $20 and then scrounge around your home for an unused telephone/answering machine/anything with a 12v DC plug. Cut the connector off the plug and wire the fan to it. For attaching to your hood, I would recommend buying some velcro and put a square of velcro on each corner of the fan, and then matching squares on the hood. Stick the fan on, plug it in, and voila! This has worked quite well for me on 3 tanks anyway. :)

Spend the $5.

You'll spend more money on the tools you're going to need for DIY than $5.

Plus your time.

Plus the risk of a mistake, etc.

It's worth five dollars.

Try searching some electronics parts sites...mcmelectronics.com mouser.com partsexpress.com just to name a few. Look for 3" fan rated to run on 110VAC-120VAC then you'll just need some bolts or screws and maybe a plug to wire onto the end. Or, for $79 I'll drive from Lancaster County to Bucks County and do it for you lol $79 is ridiculous.

So have them drill the hole(s) <- need holes for the mounting screws as well. and mount the fans yourself!! Sounds like an 80mm fan (typical computer case fan) .

yeah dude they're tying to rip you off. go get a fan off the net or rip on out of an old computer. wire it pu to and old 12 ac adapter and your ready to rock.

Archived