Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hoob's 219 & 135 Gallon Coldwater

Hoobahans

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright! Finally I got some time to snap a couple pictures of the new catalina gobies that I got. We have six and I have seen two that you gotten comfortable enough to come out and patrol.

They are really great fish, but a lot smaller than I thought they would be. The colors are ridiculous though, they stand out in a 220 gallon tank, and that says a lot.

Territory:

DSC_0112NEF.jpg

DSC_0161NEF.jpg

Bad pictures, it's hard to get this tiny fish through the thick acrylic.

DSC_0165NEF.jpg

Urchins, they mow down the algae:

DSC_0130NEF.jpg

So, it's not looking great, but it's doing alright and improving all the time. FTS:

DSC_0227NEF-1.jpg

Got a few more shots, these are a bit better.

Decorator crab:

DSC_0007NEF-7.jpg

Urchin close-up:

DSC_0021NEF-7.jpg

Mussel, etc.:

DSC_0026NEF-2.jpg

Nems:

DSC_0027NEF-5.jpg

DSC_0031NEF-4.jpg

DSC_0039NEF-3.jpg

This is the original gorgeous red anemone from a while back. It got caught in the modded mj1200 and tore to pieces. The largest piece has recovered pretty well but, as you can see, it's still got a ways to go back to its original glory.

DSC_0058NEF-2.jpg

Here's a question:

Has anyone here used an ETSS skimmer before? I have one running on the two large coldwater tanks but I cannot make it collect for the life of me. It gets black and frothy but it's almost like the froth is too think to spill over and collect in the cup. I get real thick gunk covering the whole chamber and all over the cup but nothing wet enough to drain--and not enough to clean the water. As it's a coldwater tank I have to do very heavy feeding and hence there's lots of nutrients. I need to get the skimmer working to kill the diatoms that are covering everything in the tank. I've taken care of the bigger algae with the urchins but I'd prefer to solve the algae problem at it's root instead of just mowing the big stuff. Any suggestions would be great.

Alright! Some updates.

Jamie,

No strawberries,

And coldwater coral! Check it out, I found it in the substrate, I think it was a hitchhiker with the order.

DSC_0015NEF-3.jpg

:o looks like a rhizo. nice hitchhiker. nice tank too. i got a coldwater anemone on my LR too... was real nice up until a chocolate chip star ate it (i had it in my fuge)

Here's a question:

Has anyone here used an ETSS skimmer before? I have one running on the two large coldwater tanks but I cannot make it collect for the life of me. It gets black and frothy but it's almost like the froth is too think to spill over and collect in the cup. I get real thick gunk covering the whole chamber and all over the cup but nothing wet enough to drain--and not enough to clean the water. As it's a coldwater tank I have to do very heavy feeding and hence there's lots of nutrients. I need to get the skimmer working to kill the diatoms that are covering everything in the tank. I've taken care of the bigger algae with the urchins but I'd prefer to solve the algae problem at it's root instead of just mowing the big stuff. Any suggestions would be great.

have you tried raising the water level in the skimmer? that should work. i have my skimmer on my 285g (precision marine XL2) with the water halfway up the foam tube thing. it wouldnt skim very well for me before, and now its giving me a really really thick solid green skimmate.

Thank you to all for the support, it's good to get feedback on the tank. I have gotten the diatoms under control and am scraping off the leftovers. I am still having a lot of trouble with the skimmer even though I have lowered it 5 inches deeper into the sump. From tomorrow on I have more funds to purchase more equiptment and livestock. I have been looking at MBL for a while now and I definitely plan on making a purchase! I just wish I didn't have to figure out the common names and pictures for most of the specimens. Maybe it's a good time to brush up on my freshman biology knowledge...

kingwintergreen
I have been looking at MBL for a while now and I definitely plan on making a purchase! I just wish I didn't have to figure out the common names and pictures for most of the specimens. Maybe it's a good time to brush up on my freshman biology knowledge...

Yeah, it stinks that they do that but at least it'll force you to dig out the old field guides or get online and brush up on all the nomenclature. The list is like 10 pages long! I saw today that they have some cool stuff, even fish-- they actually have skate eggs right now.

(To other members reading this, sorry-- these guys only supply to educational institutions.)

kennyboy019

Wow, amazing tanks!

My grandfather had a large coldwater tank in his classroom back in the 60's. I didn't find out about it until he learned I was getting into saltwater tanks. He said that back then there was so little information available that they just kind of made it up as they went along.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived