Coral Vue Hydros

Irish's Aquapod Documentary

ssirishpride

ssirishpride

my sps are still frags that are small. i would def. frag them in the future as they grow, and i will trade ya. sounds like a plan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ssirishpride

updates are a lil bit behind, i know. but all is well. i went with 2 tunze 6025's and sold off the hydor2 to another member. it was cool just to big for where i needed it to fit. i had my strawberry basslet go carpet surfing so i am bummed about that, but otherwise all others are happy. she mush have gotten spooked or somthing, it was the first time anything like that happened to me. i do like not having the false wall, there is a lot of room that was not used before. the cyano outbreak is gone. all the members that have gone before me were really right on. increase flow, less feeding, taylor back the lighting schedule. a couple w/c later and all is gone. i'll keep on top of my resin changes too. my tds was up to 4, which aint terrable, but it may have contributed to it.

i have got to find an ato that is really easy to not mess up. i am topping off about a gallon a day on these hot days. tank temps stay between 80-82 with the fan but evap is a bi***. as for the elegance i gave my brother it is doing much better under his pc's and tank conditions. it looks great. i have had to start dosing 2 part to keep up with my sps's demands for consistant calcium/kh needs. i am currently using b-ionic nano 2 part. i will proball start mixing my own in bulk cause that stuff can get expensive.

all the frags i got from members here are spreadin to cover the plugs/mounts on to the LR. it's cool to see they're changes. the tri-colors are coloring up nicley. the cali tort, and green slimer are awesome. and i forget the name of it but the green stag that mvite got me looks really furry with all of the polyps open, and it's starting new branches. the christmas granulosa looks great under the 250 pod, as does the teal stag. zoos are looking good too. some took a while to open after shipping, but all have come around nicely. the huge silver palys that i got are forming 2 new polyps so that will be cool to watch. as usual thanks for reading along. any questions?

ssirishpride

will do. i have been in and out of town these last 3 weeks. so i'll pick up the rest of my live rock, set it all up nice and purdy, and snap a few of the wall-less finished product. does anyone know if i could build a small overflow box in black to work in conjunction with my aquafuge ps?

• 2 weeks later...

ssirishpride, your tank looks great! You are happy with the 250 sunpods? Did anything bleach out when you changed from 150s to 250s?

How is the temp of the tank since you got the 250s?

Sharp looking tank, and by the way, what is the red zoa you have on like page 2 or 3? WHat are they called?

Thanks

Mike

ssirishpride

bleaching - no not anything yet, but it has only been a month or so. i have noticed more color if anything on most pieces. i got most of my frags from mvite. and he kept them blasted with 250s so i really didn't think it would be a problem. the only questionable one is the colony i got from a local store. it was my first coral and i right at the top. it's off to the side of direct light so as long as nothing changes with it, it stays put.

temps - amazingly they are the same as with the 150. keep in mind that the 150 has a built in ballast and the 250 is a remote balast. keeping the tank at 79-81 just like before. it has been 92-98 here the last few days and the tank was at 80 during the full lighting cycle.

those are kedd reds from mvite i believe.

ssirishpride

it's the 20". the 24 would have been too big i think. the orig. 150 was 20" and i liked the look, so i ordered the same size.

ssirishpride

my wife is complaining about the electric bill. it took a while but it is def. up from usual. i just kinda blew it off but she is pretty smoked about it. i explained that in the long run the a/c is better cause it keeps me from having to shell out for a chiller, and i hate being hot anyway. the mh ain't exactly the most energy saving item in the house anyways. anyone got any ideas on how to placate a p.o.'d wife with a reef tank in her diningroom? other than that nothing else has changed much. my tank uses cal. like a mother. i am gonna have to start making my own 2 part. almost all of the pieces has shown new growth. on sunday i found a bunch of what looked to be small shrimps running around my rocks. i got one out and i am pretty sure they came in as a hitch hiker on my last cheato (which i can't keep alive, i really do not do well with cheato) that or my peps had babies. between the small shrimps and the pods and stuff there is a lot of tiny life in the tank. i have a couple patches of bubble algea(that my emerald has seemed to forget about) the red star is getting bigger, but she stays outta the way in the rockwork, the striped on hides alot and hasn't gotten much bigger. if anyone has any tips on cheato let me know!

I didn't really read to much of the thread, but i saw the serpant and brittle star you have in your tank.

I just wanted to ask if you have had any trouble with them, they are supposed to be very agressive sometimes and are known to attack fish when they are sleeping.

Also i like your tank!!! Very nice set up!

I was thinking about getting a Aquapod HQI myself but settle for a 40 Gal. TRUVU with Sunpod!

ssirishpride

my stars are very docile. they are dwelling in the rock work and sand. never had any problems at all. thanks for the compliment.

Well that is good i have a few little brittles cruising around my tank as well i hope i don't have any problems with them as well!!!

ssirishpride

not too much to report. my porcelain crab is getting big. he was off white and purple when i got him. and now he has molted a few times into a deep purple monster with big blue catcher mitts to catch his food. he came running from under a rock right up to the glass and scared the heck outta my friend who was just lookin' in it was funny. all the sps pieces are doing well. there is notable growth in every frag. Mvite's purple monster frag didn't like the flow it was getting from one of the streams (it was too close) so i moved it off slightly and it has done better since. my alk. has been high latley so i have stopped dosing 2 part in equal parts, done a large w/c, and will be monitering my calc/alk levels more closley this week. there has been a large population increase in my pod pop. the new cheato i got was loaded with larger amphipods that have been turning up in the fuge and display. my perc. seems to like to snack on them, so i guess i got some free fish food from Andre. the cali blue tort is FINALLY starting to grow. it would be mesured in mm. but is growth none the less. and that was the orig. piece i contacted Mvite about, cause it is my fav. color variety. i wish i could snap a good pic. of it, but the indigo blue seems not to translate well for my camera. it never looks correct. here's some recent pictures of the pod.

post-25364-1185153253_thumb.jpg

post-25364-1185153278_thumb.jpg

post-25364-1185153333_thumb.jpg

post-25364-1185153362_thumb.jpg

post-25364-1185153399_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Im courious, why did you move from the 150W sunpod to the 250W? i have the aquapod 24, basic with softies, for about a year now.... im ready to move into sps, wanting to buy the 150W sunpod and your aquafuge. would get the 250W but the heat must be unbarable. im wanting to keep the blue tort, purple montisu, sunset montipora, and the superman montipora. Is the 150 not enough to keep these?

The heat is not an issue. I have been going topless and even on the hottest days the temps stay between 79-81. Keep in mind that the 250 is the only one with a remote ballast. If I remember correctly, my temp actually went down with the 250 as compared to the 150. As far as sps, I think that either would be fine. For the record though, I really like the larger selection of bulbs available for the 250..

Archived