Cultivated Reef

Eclipse Filter System + Sand...

BigReefer

Has anyone ever tried putting a piece of screen or something on the right hand side of a eclipse hood filter system then filling the area where the filter insert goes with LS or maybe just putting a piece of LR in there for added matural filtration??? What would the benifits of this be if any, and do you think it would be a good idea??? Im assuming it has to be better then running no filter at all. :)

Our setups are very similar but I am not sure why you would want to add any LS or LR in the filter area. Most people I know that have the Eclipse 12 systems do yank the BIO Wheel out after about 8 weeks (FULL cycle is complete and tank has stabilized) but the filter contains helpful carbon and does a decent job of soaking up the bad stuff. As long as you're changing that every 3-6 weeks (depending on condition) you shouldn't have any problems.

HTH

I have thought about doing that so many times, like starting a little fuge in there basically. maybe a little macro algae and some live sand and stick a second light on the hood above it so it would only shine into the filter and not into the tank.

I never did though, I'm not sure how advantageous it would be, just something to show off on these forums :)

but if you decide to try it, I'd defeintely be curious to see it and hear your results. The silly filter setup on these tanks has to be worth something!

btw, mine is a galaxy 5, a WalMart rebranded version of the eclipse 6 with a 5 gallon tank.

Hmmmm I agree Buzz, would be neat... Im new to all of this just had the idea... Maybe someone more experienced can be the test dummy! :P

Archived