Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Worst week for my tank. W/ question

shalegac

Okay, long story short. I lost my power for 5 days and everything died. So I just started over with new LS and LR (bought it today).

Well a few min ago the power went off for half a sec and then back on. My Power compact balast for my JBJ just melted. It is completely fried. I am glad I had it conected to a power strip or somthing worse could have happened. My question is...

My new tank will be a fish only. Can I just use a NO light that came with my hood for cycling my tank and for a fish only, or should I go back and buy a new PC? I would like to get a bluer bulb for it, or does it even matter? Any suggestions on bluer NO lights? I want coraline and everything else to grow (other than corals, because it is a FOWLR), so what should I do?

harbingerofthefish

50/50 NO? I'm with you shalegac. I don't know what size tank you have therefore don't know the wattage of the bulb you speak of. A NO would be fine for a FO as far as coralline growing...? Mine really hasn't spread all that much in my tank. As for using it to cycle...yes it's fine. The no see-ums don't really care if there is light or not, and algae will grow with whatever you give it. It might not be the most desirable algae, but none the less. One thing is if you cycle with let's say a 20 watt NO then upgrade to a 55 watr PC you might experience a small new cycle. Things that grew and thrived under low light might freak out and die off with a sudden upgrade. I cycled with a 15 NO and went to a 32 watt PC.

Archived