Cultivated Reef

Deresa under PCs? Possible?

Daverman

I've searched many threads, but couldn't find any answer to my question. I'm a prospective clam owner, and I'm thinking about buying a Deresa clam(~2"). I wonder if it would be happy in my 10-gallon tank, which has 2x36W PCs (actinic & 6500K). It's been running since last July. I'm specifically talking about Deresa, not other difficult-to-keep clams. So please make your comments accordingly. Thanks.

A simple yes.

Keep your ca. levels good, and alk and ph.

Also, the clam gets pretty big, pretty fast.

I'd probably buy a squamosa instead, but if you like derasa, just make sure it doesn't overgrow the tank.

I have a 29 with 110 watts of pc's and keep a squammy, and maxima.

I also have a 75 gal long, this baby is only a foot high but really large. I'm running 2 400 watt iwasaki Mh bulbs, with about 13 maximas, 5squamosa's, 15 crocea, and 8 derasa.

Looking healthy and great.:D

It's my breeding tank, I'm selling them around. Great clams.

Dude

I'm just pulling your leg. ( about the 75 gal that is):)

Thanks, Lebowski

Based on what you told me, I finally decided to get deresa:D. By the way, I have two more questions. Is it absolutely necessary to feed a clam(especially a small one) filter-feeder food or some kind of planktons? I have two female red fiddler crabs, which have been good-mannered so far. They only feed on algae and detritus, and haven't bothered any inhabitants (including corals) in my tank. Do you think it is safe to put a clam with them?

It is not necessary to feed clams. Clams smaller than 3 inches ( or 2.5 not sure) rely on feeding plankton than lighting. Although you should have no trouble with that since any derasa you buy should definetly be huge.

It's odd feeding a clam that stuff, they come from cleaner parts of the ocean.. well whatever. I think those crabs should be fine, if you notice any picking than I'd just get rid of the crabs:D

Once you get the clam, post some pics man, I'd love to see it.

Also how old is the tank?

Actually, the size of deresa is very small (about 2"). Do you think it is still necessary to feed it phytoplanktons? How long do you think I can keep deresa in my 10-g tank? Thanks.

If the clam is truly only two inches ( if you get it, measure it from mantle to mantle:the colorful part) then you will have to feed it Dt's alot, and keep ca. and alk. levels up. If I were you I'd try to find a site with a larger derasa.

Try justphish.com

Clamsdirect.com

eastcoastclams.com

Check out the clams at JustPhish.com. JP's got some nice ones and his Customer Service is fantastic!

I have a Maxima and Squamosa both under 2X55 PC in my 20 gallon. The Maxi sits nicely on a shelf on the upper part of my reef. The squamosa is on a piece of shell on the sand.

All clams need good calcium levels, and small clams do filter feed while supplementing and generating their ability to photofeed. However, most of our tanks have decent levels of nutrients that will do just fine. They actually appreciate Nitrate! :) I do feed DTs, but not all that often.

My clams show nice mantle color and extension, have attached to rock and shell via byssal and have shown growth in scutes and white calcium on the shell's edges in just a few months (The maxi - The Squam is new).

They do grow fast. Be prepared to give them up or build that 125 Gallon you've been dreaming of! ;)

Find the book "Giant Clams : A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tridacnid Clams" by Daniel Knop. It's a good read and a must for clam keeping!

David

Oh yea Lebowski, his maxima is PROOF that you can keep a clam under PCs... :)

I wouldn't take what he says as proof of anything just yet. He has only had the maxima in there since 4/1.

Clams are great at living for several weeks then suddenly dying when they are starving to death.

Small clams need a lot of food. Lighting isn't quite as important as food when they are small. However, squamosas would be better suited to your tank.

This thread needs another Dave in it .... :D

FWIW, supplemental feeding is reccomended. even though you have a decent amount of light, doesn't mean it is optimum nor that the clam will do well in it. You need to find the background information on the clam before trying to keep it under PC. My luck is anything less than 9 watts per gallon us far too little for clams lest you are using Halides or other HID lighting.

try it, worst case scenario, yer crabs have a clam on the half shell feast.

Originally posted by OscarBeast

Oh yea Lebowski, his maxima is PROOF that you can keep a clam under PCs...  :)

I've had my Maxima longer than 4/1. The Squamosa is new. The Maxima was a rescue from a LFS. They were under standard compact lighting (the kind on your goldfish tank) and were dying. Most were expelling zooxanthella and bleaching. As of this day, all of his are dead

Mine has regained all of it's color and has calcified growth rings on the edge of its shell. Proof that not only is it surviving, but thriving. Again, I do feed DTs, dead phyto and even marine snow in my tank from time to time. I just don't waste my time removing a clam and placing it in greenwater.

Read up on them, know them and they are no mystery.

Oh, and yes, the Squamosa would be a better clam to start with.

Funny...the first reply to one of my first posts at Nano, and it left a bad taste. I never claimed to be an authority. I just passed on my clam story. Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by OscarBeast  

Oh yea Lebowski, his maxima is PROOF that you can keep a clam under PCs...  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had my Maxima longer than 4/1. The Squamosa is new. The Maxima was a rescue from a LFS. They were under standard compact lighting (the kind on your goldfish tank) and were dying. Most were expelling zooxanthella and bleaching. As of this day, all of his are dead

Mine has regained all of it's color and has calcified growth rings on the edge of its shell. Proof that not only is it surviving, but thriving. Again, I do feed DTs, dead phyto and even marine snow in my tank from time to time. I just don't waste my time removing a clam and placing it in greenwater.  

Read up on them, know them and they are no mystery.

Oh, and yes, the Squamosa would be a better clam to start with.

Funny...the first reply to one of my first posts at Nano, and it left a bad taste. I never claimed to be an authority. I just passed on my clam story. Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! Dude…

JustDavidP notice the "Lebowski" in that quote. Do you suppose I was talking about Lebowski and not you? No need to get upset about a post that had NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU.

LOL

You deserve the bad taste and a seizure.

:o

Sorry... It's late, it's Friday. I didn't even follow the thread. Sorry...

Point...and seizure taken ;)

Have a good weekend.

Brooklyn Johnny

I have 3 maximas and a squamosa in my 10 gallon under 72 watts PC and they thrive. I feed a whole mix of things, and have a refugium as I have a lot of feeders... I don't know how much first hand this food is necessary, but I have definately seen a general difference since phyto and refugiums have been used in reef tanks...

I can go on and on... but yes it's possible... my nano sucks up calcium though... keep this and your alk up as has been mentioned. I really think feeding does play a difference. FWIW I have future plans for these clams and realize the 10 gallon cannot be permanent, but they'll be okay in here for a while, even though they're moving in less than a year. Here's a pic top down, showing two maximas and my squamosa on the bottom of the tank. The third maxima I've gotten since the pics (from justphish.com incidentally).

I think another important point to take into consideration is what type of light the clam is currently under, prior to purchasing. I have a Deresa under 130 watts of PC lighting in a 20g high tank that was previously under Halide. I definately noticed some of the color being lost in the first few weeks of keeping it. In a 10 gallon you may be better off than me since it is a more shallow tank, but previous lighting is a factor. And yes they are calcium hogs too, but you can keep up with it in that tank without a tremendous dent in your wallet.

The reality is, a clam will probably live and will even grow and thrive under PC's but.......It would grow quicker, thrive stronger and be all around better off under Halide lights. Although the so called "easier clams" do exist, ALL clams will benefit and look more like ocean specimens from high wattage halide lighting as opposed to PC lights. I find this to be the case with most Corals too, PC lighting has it's benefits and will do the job well, but Halide make everything better in any kind of reef animal. Let's not kid ouselves....Good luck with your clams!

Archived