SaltCritters.com

Clam shell as a good frag mount?

Hoobahans

I have a big clam shell that I broke up and am thinking about using it as frag plugs. It was sitting in a tank at my school for a few years but has been out of water for a few months. Will it be alright?

IMG_0883.JPG

Yeah, it's a good mount. I'd soak it in your tank for a while before attaching the frags though. The reason it is good is because it is a calcium carbonate based material.

Works good. I use oyster shells quite a bit. I usually boil them for a couple of hours when I get them to make sure they don't have anything harmful in them. I live on the Chesapeake Bay so I have an ample supply of free oyster shell frag mounts. I usually bust them up to.

Prof.

Sounds like good advice to me, I'll use them then. Do you this it is better to glue the frag to the rough side or the smooth? I'm thinking that it might be easier to epoxy the shell to my lr if I glue the frag to the smooth side because then the rough side will side to the epoxy better than the smooth.

As long as the shell wasn`t in a fish tank that had been treated with copper- or while it was dry it was not exposed to any chemicals or pesticides it should be fine.

Archived