SaltCritters.com

Fuge photoperiod?

ReefWaters

I have never run a fuge before but through my research have read about reversing the photoperiods for the show tank and the fuge. In other words, while the show lights are on, the fuge is off, and vice versa. Do I have this concept right or did I miss somethihg? Also, what are the benifits/purpose of doing this? Is it bad to run the fuge lights at the same time as the show?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ross

Hey Reefwaters, The reason people run the fuge photoperiod opposite the maintank is to counter the huge fluxes in PH from when the lights are on and the lights are off in the main tanks. By running the fuge opposite the mian tank the plants in the fuge absorb the CO2 produced by the main tank when its lights are out. By absorobing the CO2 it does not have a chance to form carbonic acid and drop your ph. I run my fuge 24/7. I know a lot of people have strong opinons on this method. Just read any basic biology book on photosynthesis and you will understand that plants will do fine on a 24/7 photoperiod. The so called dark reaction part of photosynthesis means it does not require light to be activated. Not that it requires darkness or cannot continue while there is light present. Lighting cycles are used by plants to determine seasonal changes and what stage of reproduction or growth a plant should be in. photosynthesis is a CHEMICAL reaction and does not need a "rest" period as long as the required materails are avail which are CO2, water, nitrogen, a good light source and of course chorlophyl and the proper temp.

HTH

I dont think it matters which way you run it (reverse or same); its more a matter of preference.

I run the fuge lights at night because I dont want to see the light on the bottom while Im awake and enjoying the display.

Running them on a reverse photoperiod versus 24/7 is another discussion entirely.

The macro not growing, for one. Isnt it still technically a plant and requires *some* light?

The rock and sand would be ok I think, no?

Thanks for all of the responses. apophis924 makes a lot of sense. I will most likely run the fuge opposite the tank and possibly even 24/7. Any thoughts on giving the fuge 2-3 hours of rest during mid cycle of the show photoperiod?

Hey reef waters you could give it rest, to save a little $$ on the electrics and prolong the life of the bulb. I run mine 24/7 and a side benefit i get is that the bleed thru light gives my tank a moon light effect at night, enough light to see things moving about but not bright enough to make them thibk it is still daylight. The corals clsoe up as if they are in a night cycle and my starfish and shrimps come out as if the tank was pitch dark. I wonder has anyone else had thsi side benefit of 24.7 lighting with a fuge. My fgue is a cpr hang on i guess an under the tank fuge would not have th effect of any blled thru lighting.

Archived