Coral Vue Hydros

live sand vs. dead sand

Ron..... the cheeb

Ron..... the cheeb

Greetings. I am researching nano reef tanks right now. My current question is about sand. I was told by a couple lfs guys, that if I am using adequate, quality lr, I can use dry sand, and maybe seed it w/ 1lb from an established lfs reef tank, and it will 'become' live sand. The only reason for this is to save money, so I wouldnt consider it unless it works quite well.

thanks for your help.......

Ron..... the cheeb

(in order to better clarfiy my question)

I realize that seeding sand with some live will eventually work, based on other threads in the beginners forum. My question mainly refers to the overall quality of the result. I am a beginner, obviously, and am seeking input as to whether a beginner, with greater risk of screwup, would be better off making a $30 investment in a 20lb bag of live aragonite at the lfs.

OxInYourBox

If you are referring to the prepackaged bags that are "live" with some water in them don't waste your money. You're much better off buying a # or so (depending on what your tank size is) of LS from the LFS (or finding some local reefers and getting some-most are pretty cool and if you goto a reefclub meeting you'll meet lots of reefers and they can become a good source of advice and frags) and use it in conjunction with your LR to seed the dead/dry sand. That's how I've done all of my tanks in the past with the exception of my first tank being seeded solely by the LR that I had in there. Be sure to wait and let the tank mature a bit after the cycle. It will be better off in the long run. Good luck and post pics. :)

Ox

Archived