Top Shelf Aquatics

clownfish, almost dead :(

mrdhong

I bought a true percula clowfish pair last friday. They seemed to be doing fine, until yesterday. One of the clownfish's mouth stayed open, and did not close. I thought this was just him trying to breath some extra air or that it was normal so i left him alone. Today his lips were white and now he is spasing out as if he was having seizures. The other clownfish is perfectly fine though.

Do you know what is happening?

chrisstankevitz

I have seen clownfish have "seizures" when they are crowded or another fish is being aggresive toward it. By itself in those circumstances, it is normal. The other stuff does not sound good though :( If you have one, put him in a QT tank.

what are your tank parameters... ammonia level, nitrate nitrite and so on.

ditto. the "seizures" may be a male doing a subordinant dance for the larger female. the rest of the issues could be related to something else. we need more info tho.

My water is fine. The calicum level is a little high though, could it affect he fish.

Sadly, the seizure clownfish died last night about 30 minutes after my post. Now my other clown seems like it may get sick. As of now, it is doing fine, but it has a huge red spot on his forehead. More like whiteish red. I am trying to look find what it is, but i think its some sort of skin disease.

Anyone familiar with this?

Archived