Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pics of Rics...

c est ma

Not exactly related, but..

in the picture of the whole front of the tank, up in the top right corner..is that a penguin I see?

and did you leave the biowheel in? I thought we weren't supposed to do that..if you have corals that pretty, I might have to rethink this.

avalanche1201--Thanks! As for suggestions, I couldn't offer more than reefone and calvin415 did. I hope you succeed--it's really neat to watch them eat...

pacatak795--Uh, yes to both...and did you notice the crushed coral?

My son set this tank up over 3 years ago, according to the best advice of a very reputable lfs in the Lansing area. And these were the substrate and apparati they recommended. I "inherited the tank" a couple years ago or so, when it came home from college and just sort of stayed (son developed other interests), and by that time we'd spent quite a bit of time here on N-R, enough to know that these things were considered no-nos now.

I've changed the tank top, lighting, and heater, but did not much else. When I got it it was still just LR w/ a small clean-up crew. Now that everything I've added has grown so much it's really a "dirty" softy tank, and I can always siphon out plenty of detritus. But my params are +/- stable, my rics (& zoa & shrooms, some GSP--even a small merletti) are growing nicely, and my fish are breeding, so I'm pleased even if things aren't exactly pristine.

I try to change H2O every week to 10 days, but that often morphs to 2, even 2.5 weeks. But even though cleaning is always an issue, maintenance on a 5.5g is so easy. When I'm in a hurry, I can just change the water by ladling out several measuring cups worth and pouring in fresh. It takes so little water that I can afford to buy it ready-made from an lfs. I do change the filter cartridge and a phosX packet each time I clean...(BTW, if you use cartridges--unlikely, I know--always check them. I rescued a brittle star and a large amphipod from the last one I pulled out...)

The filter box is full of sponges and hitchhiker feather duster worms...

Anyway, I'm sure maintenance could be simplified if I made some changes, but it's not onerous enough now to overcome my laziness. :)

(Plus, the substrate's full of interesting little volunteer critters. I'd hate to lose them...)

--Diane

avalanche1201

Finally got em to eat!

My pics arnt nearly as cool, or as sweet looking as c est ma's, or as clear for that matter. Perhaps because my shrooms arnt as nice as, but here they are :)

S5000716.jpg

S5000714.jpg

I was told the one on the left may be some sort of rhodactis but Im not to sure on a positive ID on either one. The LFS said they were rics, but now I dont know if I can trust em on the ID, I havnt found a positive one yet so an ID would be great if any one knows. thanks

Avalanche, cool! Nice mouths! Isn't it fun watching them?

A bit hard to tell from your pics, but I'd suspect Rhodactis, too...It's unfortunately true that the lfs personnel aren't always correct...But really, rics are just another member of the 'shroom family, all of which are fascinating, I think. One of my discos closes up so fast when fed it's scary. I understand there are 'shroom species big enough and fast enough to eat fish!

(It's funny how some of my rics close up around food, and others stay open and pass food inward tentacle by tentacle...[yep, you can really call those bumps "tentacles."])

Do you have a macro setting on your camera? You might play around with that...

Anyway, congrats!

--Diane

avalanche1201

Thanks Diane

Yeah it was awesome when I looked up and saw them eat. It took a while so i thought it wasnt a success again when I placed the food right on them...few min later i looked up and BAM! they were eating I was real excited.

Those bumbs are tenacles? thats pretty sweet. I would really love to get a quick eat who close right on things, and i know the ric's are in the shroom family so i was suprised when the LFS was wrong.

The one on the left didnt look to good for a while..color was faded on one side, never seemed to open or close, just stayed looken the same way, thats why I was real happy when he ate. Now to just fish out my last shrooms that got blown behind my rock work :angry: That one has an awesome green color

no macro setting unfortunatly :( my roommates cam doesnt have it and no one else's camera has one either, o well

-Scott

• 1 month later...
UCLA.irie

Youre rics are noice lookin :D. I wish i had some 5 mouthed mutant like that lol

linkia lady

I am kind of new to nano reefing but I always thought you did not have to feed rics. I love them, they are my favorite corals. So let me get this right, if I feed them cyclopleeze or oyster eggs I will see there mouths open like the ones in C'est ma's pics.

IME (mostly with softies), many things that are photosynthetic also relish the occasional bite of food and usually do better for having it. All of my rics eat; they don't always gape their mouths so wide, though. And some close up into the "onion" shape, like Discosoma shrooms.

Speaking of which, all my Discos eat except for the blue-with-black-striped one. The turquoise pimply ones close up incredibly fast around food...

My orange zoas eat Cyclopeeze, but my greens don't. I once read that the ones with the longer skirts (which would include my oranges) eat but the short skirts tend not to...

Most of my rics will eat anything, including sinking pellets.

--Diane

Nice rics!!! Hey I started a thread for pictures of our ricordeas, you should add these! Keep em coming, man I love rics!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...446&hl=RICS

:blush::blush: Uh, actually, I'm on page 6... :blush::blush:

Great thread, BTW! I've been reading it all along.

Actually, I have better pics than the ones I posted so I need to go back and edit my post, substituting in the new pics...

--Diane

Y'know, actually I'm talking about Nutrafin's "Max--marine complete food; slow sinking morsels."

These are small to begin with, float at the surface for a while, then sink. When my gobies started breeding regularly I started giving them a little bit of food daily. Being too lazy too get out the frozen stuff all the time, some days it's just a pinch of the above morsels. The gobies, BTW, have been known to dart to the surface for these...

But a fair amount sink, land on the rics, and get eaten. Actually, everything comes out of the woodwork (rockwork?) for these--brittle star arms start waving wildly, emerald & pom pom appear, Nassarius erupts from the substrate, etc.

I have used Hikari sinking algae wafers before but don't remember feeding these to the rics...But judging by their trouble with, say, whole mysids (they'll ingest about half of it and leave the other half hanging out) I'd say that particle size matters and regular sinking pellets would need to be broken up.

HTH,

Diane

Archived