ReefCleaners.org

Carbon

zizmans

Wasn't quite sure if this was a beginners question or not. If so, I apologize. I keep a bag of reef carbon in my AC 200 all the time, but I've read alot of posts where some say to only use it when you need it or not at all. The carbon POLL seems to be split up as well. As I understand it, the arguement for not using it is that it takes out beneficial elements. Is there more to it than that? Is this true for corals as well as FO, or just corals? I did a search and couldn't really come up with diffinitve answers. Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks.

This will be debated for years to come so don't try to find any difinitive answers to this question. Many people do not run carbon and only use it when they feel it is needed to fix a water problem which typically seems to be the consensus.

A while ago, I was looking over Dave Playfair's 7 gallon nano. Dave has some really nice systems, which is obvious in RC's last months Tank of the Month, but lets get back to the 7 gallon which was also featured in Junes Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine. I read that he used carbon 24/7/365 and changed it weekly on the nano. His reasons were that in the confined space and small water volume, this would help combat any chemical warfare that may occur.

This concept makes total sence to me. I looked at it like this, if it is sucking out too much of any good stuff the corals need, I will just add more to compensate, easy enough. Needless to say, I run carbon 24/7/365 in my 2.5 gallon and both my 12 gallons. It has worked wonderfully for me to date.

I recently replied to a thread about sarcophyton toadstool leathers and LPS that should not be kept in the same tank or at least close to eachother due to the fact that the "slime" given off by the leathers seems toxic to LPS. I have literally LPS then sarco, then LPS then sarco in a row in a 12 gallon practically touching eachother and even after "slimes" had no ill effect on the LPS's. I believe that the carbon does a good job stopping the chemical warfare from getting very far if good flows are used with this carbon method in small tanks.

All I'm saying is my corals are thriving, even the jam packed 2.5 gallon (1 gallon water after contents) and strongly believe that the carbon is keeping the inhabitants safe by being able to suck out the problem BEFORE it is noticed and sometimes too late. Frequent water changes will keep enough trace elements in the column and will not all be sucked out before the next weeks change, I see no HARM in running the carbon constantly, only benifits from it. I believe in what I see, and I see very VERY healthy systems of my own and by others using this method.

Of course, some will say I am wrong for this but I am sticking to my guns on this one, just because as I have said many times, my nano's are the healthiest tanks I have ever owned.

Brooklyn Johnny

Liquid by the way love the tank... awesome awesome... anyway...

I do run carbon, but not continuously. I use it about once a month, and for about 2 days. It definately polishes the water off, as I get a little bit of yellowing from my fuge (my tank at http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=9920

I've read that the carbon is pretty much exhausted after a couple of days anyway, so running it 24/7 is almost the same thing unless you're changing regularly. I would just leave it in, as I used to, but I feed my tank so heavily with all sorts of planktonic stuff that I don't like ANY mechanical filtration (except the natural ones I have ie clams and sponges). I was noticing the bag with carbon getting clogged with phyto and other foods. When I put the carbon in it seems to polish the water off very quickly, so I take it out within two days. I have quite a mix of things in my tank, and the growth is good, don't know if there is any chemical warfare going on though (who really does?). Whatever works though... I'd run 24/7 though if weren't for that clogging thing. As for whether or not carbon removes good stuff... in our nanos the amount of water changes we do (compared to normal sized reefs) will most likely make up for this anyway so that is a nonfactor IMO. HTH

Johnny

Archived