Pod Your Reef

Set Up Questions?

ReefWaters

Im in the planning stages for my first Nano. I have had a 55 gallon reef and a 110 gallon reef in the past. Those gave me a great deal of experience but they were not set up as well as they should have been. I want to do this one right the first time. So here is my idea.

20 gallon tank (30x12x12)

10 gallon refugium

5.5 gallon sump

No skimmer for now. ???

I want to run the sand bed in the refugium with macro algea on top of the sand bed. I want to keep the sand out the show tank b/c of space.

I have a 660 IceCap Electronic ballast, so I can run as much lighting as I want. I was thinking of at least 200 watts (PC) for the show tank. What is a good mix of white/actinic? 2/3 white, 1/3 actinic? 3/4 white, 1/4 actinic? Or just 50/50?

How many watts should I use for the macro algea and do I need actinic or just white light for that?

Does anyone think that the refugium is overkill?

Im going to have a 1 inch drain drilled in the middle of the back wall of the tank which will feed slowly to the refugium and more quickly to the sump. The fuge will then drain to the sump. The return pump will feed back to the tank via a 1/2 inch bulkhead on each side of the back wall and serve as the only circulation inside the tank.

Ive thought a great deal about this little system and feel that it will do great.

Please let me know your thoughts; good and bad.

Thank you,

Ross W

You have some prior experience - so I'm assuming you know the firedrill with regards to setup. If your'e unsure, ask away.

Refugium - You could have a display worthy refugium with the 10. You could just as easily swap out the 5 gallon sump for a fuge and use the 10 for your sump. Personal call on your part. You should be fine with with 26 to 32 watts over the refugium for the purposes of macroalgae (using either the 5 or the 10).

Overkill? Maybe ... but I don't think that it would have a negative impact on your 20.

Your lighting decision seems informed enough - base your tube choice on some of the livestock you plan to keep. I like the 2/3 - 1/3 or 50/50 combination - again, if your familiar with how the lighting displays, it is a personal preference.

Good advice Palaegic. Thank you.

Yes, I have a fair amount of reefer experience, but I was much younger and have gained much more knowlege since then. I want to eventually move to SPS so dont I need more white light for that?

I think I have decide on the show/sump/fuge water system as stated above. I found a neat wavemaker switch that I think will work great with the double return to the tank. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=Sales

Im having trouble with the lights though. What about...

2 x 65watt PC Daylight

1 x 75watt VHO actinic

total: 205 watts

the VHO actinic is supposed to be the superior actinic and the PC daylight is supposed to be much brighter than VHO

Any thoughts?

Ross W

If you use whiter bulbs (10,000K ballpark), 2:1 white:actinic is about optimal. If you're using cooler bulbs, like 6500K, I'd go more to the 3:1 ratio to ensure enough white light.

Otherwise, I'd say palaegic's advice is sound. I agree that the fuge is really optional, based on personal preference. Myself, I hate the look for refugiums, so I tend to hide them away in the stand and use them solely as a reverse photosynthesis device, which helps with pH stabilitiy considerably. So in your shoes, if I had the space, I'd keep the 5 and the 10, but use the 10 as the sump and the 5 as a macro-filled RPD. But like palaegic said, it's all personal pref at that point.

Archived