Cultivated Reef

Micro-nano-reef? Office setup help request

Paramedic

Hi,

GREAT FORUMS!

I'm looking to setup a small nano-reef on my office desk. :D Unfortunately, the space and weight limits are restrictive. I have a minibow 5 and wondered if it was at all possible to set up a nano-reef using such a small aquarium.

Also, there will be an average of 2-3 days a week (consecutive) that noone will be able to check on the setup. I might be able to cut this to one on alternating weeks. Would a small setup like this be able to handle these unattended periods?

What upgrades/accessories to the Minibow equipment do you recommend?

Finally, if absolutely necessary, I'd probably be able to go with a 7 gal (maybe even a 10) but then I couldn't keep it on my desk area and be able to enjoy it while seated at the desk :( And which threads do you recommend as a "starter guide" I'll keep hunting through here.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

i'd recommend the 7g bow (glass). also think about an auto topoff because it'll be unattended for so long. (see physh's thread in classifieds)

shop around for lights first. i think the 2x32wPC's are the best fit tho.

Thanks for the comments. Haven't been able to locate a source for the 7g glass bow and this one is acrylic, so I'll probably consider using the bow for a tropical aquarium at home.

I'm still interested in trying to keep the desk aquarium to 5 (5.5?) so any other thoughts would be appreciated

Also, I'm looking to get the bookworm lights and making a custom top (so yes, probably going to use a 5.5 more standard AGA. I've been extremely impressed (and motivated) with the 2.5's that are out there in the forum. I'll look at doing a plexiglass cut top.

What pumps and bulbs do you recommend.

Thanks again. Still doing more research and getting the reef "itch" bad. (Guess I should see the doctor)

A 5.5 would work out great, my 5.5 is my favorite tank.

The biggest problem encountered by office tanks is temp, is the office heated and cooled 24/7? You will probably need a top off system if you are going to have 3 days unattended.

Are you planning on using a hang on back filter ( HOB ) or do you want an all in tank system? As for the bulbs I've heard good things about the Hellolights.com bulbs. I myself am using bulbs from Aquarium Hobby Supply (AHS) and I've been pleased with them.

Thanks lizbeth,

I'll probably use a HOB filter, get a Visi-Therm heater (likely bump the wattage up to about double so it doesn't have to work very hard) and then have something else to get the water circulating.

After reading liquid's posts, I'm considering trying to run this without the top off and actually trying it without a skimmer at first (using the plexiglass lid as a means to minimize evaporation and also to aerate through condensation and dripping back)

Unfortunately, they do kill the heat/cooling (so I'll probably need some kind of cooling system for July and August) on Sundays and if the school is closed (it's a college).

Any particular thoughts about whether or not I should get the skimmer up front.

I'm still doing more research, but think I have what I need to get the tank, heater, lights and start working on the salinity levels without anything else in the tank. I'd like to do a "dead" run (no LR/LS) for about a week and see what the temps hold to before putting anything in.

Any other suggestions?? Thanks again!

P.S. I'm taking the minibow back and getting the 5.5 AGA.

why do you use a reptile heater under the tank? i have a friend who uses one on a 5.5 gal dwarf puffer tank. works quite good. although i don't see why you cant just cut a small hole in the plexi cover and put an aquarium heater there.

Archived