Cultivated Reef

Need 40BR advice

Esabasard

I'm looking at upgrading my 24 nano-cube to a 40 breeder or 50 short. I'm pretty sure I want the 2x150W sunpod, but I need help with the filtration. I don't want to drill it, I woundn't know where to start and it really freaks me out. Most of what I've read on here involves drilling so I'm pretty lost. If anyone could please help and keep in mind I know next to nothing about plumbing, sumps or refugiums beyond my AC110 fuge on my 10 gal. I know this is a fairly common topic but I didn't get any less confused by reading past topics. Thanks

I would look around at other people's plumbing and go from there. Having a drilled tank can be very daunting at first, but once you get the logistics of it worked out, it really is a better setup. Maybe you could buy a reef-ready tank that already has the overflow installed? That would make your life a little bit easier, and we'd be more than happy to help you through the first plumbing job as you go along.

I'll try to post some pics of my old tank's plumbing, and maybe some of my new one with descriptions of how it works if I can ever find the time.

Your other option, of course, would be to find a place for all your equipment inside the tank. There's no problem with that provided that you don't mind seeing everything in it.

As worried as I am about the plumbing, I'm much more worried about me drilling, but they don't make a reef-ready tank of that footprint until the 65gal which is not really what I want, I like the shallow look. What about a hang-on overflow, I've seen them but also heard they can be disastrous. Also, how does that light look? Would it be enough to house pretty much anything?

I'm not entirely sure how tall the tank you're considering is, but chances are that light would be fine. SPS towards the bottom of the tank may take a while to acclimate properly, but they'll eventually come around.

The hang on overflow boxes should work fine as long as you can deal with how they look. The one I used to have never failed on me, but I could understand people's worries with them. Is there a reason why they don't sell a reef ready version of what you're looking for?

I'm not sure, I have just looked at All-glass's website and it doesn't have one listed. The dimensions of the 50 short are 36"x18"x18". They sell as reef-ready version that is 65gal and is 6" taller.

scarf_ace1981

i have a non drilled 40br. i can understand that you don't want to drill because it's a bit overwhelming but it's pretty simple.

most members have all these fancy tanks w/ like 10 holes drilled intot he tank but if you wantt to keep it nice and simple. all you need to do is make two holes. one for a drain and the other for your return.

it's important that the tank be drilled as high as possible so that if there is a chance the power goes out you don't drain the tank. also you want the drain hole to be larger than the return. to these holes you attach bulkheads and then buy the necessary pvc and shut off valves

i have some pics that may help you out if you want to go w/ a u-tube overflow box.

non RR plumbing

my .02:

Like you I like the long, low look and I've got a 50g breeder (up from a 20L).

I'm running a AC110 and a skimmer on the back. I would LOVE to go with a sump, but I too am gripped about the overflow issue.

IF I had it all to do over again, I would go with a reef-ready tank...

Best

I'm not sure, I have just looked at All-glass's website and it doesn't have one listed. The dimensions of the 50 short are 36"x18"x18". They sell as reef-ready version that is 65gal and is 6" taller.

If they make it for the 65, I would have to assume they would make it for the 50, but I could be wrong.

So looking more I think I may go with the oceanic 58 RR which is 21" tall but it is reef-ready and I think I'd rather have it predrilled. Would the light I picked out still work or would I need to go bigger? This will by no means be an SPS tank, but I want to have the option for clams and SPS. I like the look of the 50 short but I think in the long run it will be better to have it reef-ready.

So looking more I think I may go with the oceanic 58 RR which is 21" tall but it is reef-ready and I think I'd rather have it predrilled. Would the light I picked out still work or would I need to go bigger? This will by no means be an SPS tank, but I want to have the option for clams and SPS. I like the look of the 50 short but I think in the long run it will be better to have it reef-ready.

If it were me, I'd go with the 250w model due to the added depth.

The 250W is about 150 more.

There's always DIY halides. I setup two 175w halides on my tank for about $540 but you can go with lesser reflectors for about $100 cheaper. Good thing about going with the retrofits is if you do upgrade your tank, it'll save you from having to buy a new fixture if the tank length changes.

I just went through the same dilemma, between a 40B, the 50 and either the 58gRR or the 65RR. For the money, I decided on the 50 and I am going to drill two holes for drains using the herbie method to plumb. I am having an internal overflow built by first class aquatics and then I'm "reef-ready". I'm going to use a SCWD and some over the back U-tubes for the return from the sump. For lights I am going to use two 175watt bell pendants. I was at first concerned about drilling my tank, but after researching on here and RC and talking to members in my local reef club, I am convinced it's no big deal. We'll see.

Well, thanks for the good advice, but I think I'm going to end up going with a 75 gal reef-ready. I feel more comfortable with it being pre-drilled and after talking to my LFS it is only $30 more for another foot of width. There is still going to be a lot more research needed to figure out the plumbing and how to make the sump area best. Thanks for all the responses.

Archived