Cultivated Reef

pepshrimp hurts firefish

ANGRYCLOWN

post-25104-1170628786_thumb.jpgFirefish woke up with flicky dorsal fin missing and a slice through its back fin towards the tail.

90% sure the peppermint shrimp is responsible since its the only thing active at night; also it's day time hangout it the firefish's night time sleep zone.

Firefish looks like hell and I'm ###ed, worried the PepShrimp it going to jump on my other fish and bite thier fins off as well.

Is this likely? or is the firefish attack just an unusual situation because of the fish's tasty looking, easy to bite dorsal fin?

post-25104-1170628786_thumb.jpgFirefish woke up with flicky dorsal fin missing and a slice through its back fin towards the tail.

90% sure the peppermint shrimp is responsible since its the only thing active at night; also it's day time hangout it the firefish's night time sleep zone.

Firefish looks like hell and I'm ###ed, worried the PepShrimp it going to jump on my other fish and bite thier fins off as well.

Is this likely? or is the firefish attack just an unusual situation because of the fish's tasty looking, easy to bite dorsal fin?

Firefish usually get out of the area if they are getting plucked

• 2 weeks later...

havent heard of pep shrimps ripping fins on fish, even if they can be pretty aggressive when it comes to grabbing food. they have really tiny pincers!

are you sure it wasnt something else that did it? maybe an unknown hitchhiker? maybe the firefish got spooked during the night and jumped and tore its fin on a rock? thats a more common situation...

MGXsport is right, any fish usually reacts very quickly to stimuli, even if they are sleeping... i doubt a pep would be able to do that damage in such a short time.

Archived