Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Please help - a lot of questions

larsson

I would like to start a 2 gallon mini saltwater setup. I have a 2 gallon hex tank with lighting already, as well as a powerhead. However, I have a few questions. Is it possible to take water from an already established saltwater tank and add it to the 2 gallon as starter water without having to cycle the 2 gallon? In addition, would I be able to keep anything else in the 2 gallon other than maybe 1 shrimp?

Ok, I read around a bit and will probably be cycling the water with live rock and dead sand (or hopefully a scoop full of live sand if the lfs sells it). My question is is there anything I can initially add, such as a snail or a shrimp while cycling the tank?

My basic plan is to:

1. Buy distilled water. Unless of course, you recommend getting water from an established tank.

2. Buy and add salt.

3. Buy sand.

4. Add to aquarium.

5. Buy approx. 2 lbs. of live rock and add to aquarium and let cycle.

or is it possible to:

1. Get water from already established tank.

2. Get live rock from already established tank.

3. Add a snail or something.

Or is it possible to add a snail at first since most hitch rides on live rock anyway? Is there anything else I could add initially?

Also, the live rock I buy at the LFS, do I need to cure it or just put it in the tank?

Make sure you have read the available articles. Most of your questions are subjective - correspondingly the answers depend on what route you go. If you can start with livesand and liverock - this is the recommended way to go.

Make sure you have test kits to check Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH. There is of course, other maintenance equipment you will need to be successful ie: hydrometer, heater, power filter and or power heads, lighting and you will eventually want phosphate, calcium and carbonate hardness test kits.

It is safest to assume that the rock from your LFS is uncured. Get your sand and your rock into the aquarium and sit tight. Test for ammonia after 5 days, then keep testing until it peaks and starts to drop, now test for nitrite as well. You are not cycled until these two values are at zero. This process can be anywhere between 2 to 6 weeks. At that point it is safe to add snails. By adding them sooner, you are stressing the animals, with the distinct possibility of killing them. Be patient, move slowly, and you will eventually have a successful and beautiful system.

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/

Archived