Cultivated Reef

Turnover rate in 7 gallon? recommended lighting?

static69static

static69static

I have a 10 gallon tank with an overflow/divider splitting the tank 7/3, so I have a 7 gallon main tank and a 3 gallon fuge. I plan on having the pumps in the fuge pumping water back into the main tank. What is the recommended gph rate for circulation in the tank? I have two mini-jets 606's, each rated at 159 gph, wondering if I should use only one or two. I plan on using the method someone did on here, with the plastic flexible pipe and running it along top back as a spray bar. If I need two, would do back and front, facing towards middle. If you recommend two, should they be full blast, cause that would be over 30x hour turnover rate.

Also plan on just keeping softies, zoos, polyps, shrooms, frogspawn.

Also what would be the recommended light for that?

OxInYourBox

I'd go with both 606's with one returning water from the fuge and another mounted in the tank inconspicously if possible. I had a spray bar in my tank but I was constantly cleaning it so I rearranged the mini jets to counter the dead spots. Some have good luck with them some don't. There isn't a set rule of thumb for GPH in smaller tanks however judging by your list of inhabitants you should be fine with the 606's as they can be throttled down in case you aren't getting full expansion. As far as lighting goes-The sky and your budget is the limit. :). Most people go with a 2x36 setup (mine is an ahsupply.com 2x36 kit with hellolight bulbs). Check out other members tanks for what they do with regards to lighting.

I have 2 606's and 2 404's in my 10G tank with the two 606's in the back upper corners pointing towards each other and the two 404's in the lower back corners facing towards the front all at full flow (monthly cleaning if not more often is a must to keep optimum flow). I have 3 on a wavemaker to vary the flow (check out my latest thread for pics). I'm replacing this setup with a MAG 5 with closed loop plumbing with a SCWD and loc line returns. I'll post pics when I'm done next week.

HTH

Ox

Archived